none
Gannt Chart view - How can I show the connection on the Gantt chart of the external links I have RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am using MS Project 2007 Professional and have set up some bar styles for critical path, summary, external tasks, etc.

I have tasks that I link from one schedule to another because i want to make sure that let;s say when integration testing is complete that UAT testing starts.

I want to show that relationship on the Gannt view itself.

How can I show the External path link itself from one schedule to the other on the Gannt view itself?

Thanks

Sunday, May 8, 2011 4:18 PM

Answers

• Hotmail1,

Depending on the level of detail you can either show immediate external predecessors and successors or everything in both schedules. To show the immediate links, go to Tools/Options/View tab and check the options to show external predecessors and successors. To show everything, create a master schedule.

Note that in order to see the "ghost tasks" (immediate external predecessors/successors) in a master file, the master must be static (i.e. uncheck "link to project" when inserting the subprojects). Ghost tasks do not appear in a dynamic master.

It also sounds like you've set up a set of custom bar styles. Make sure you include a bar style for external tasks in your custom set.

Hope this helps.

John

Sunday, May 8, 2011 5:03 PM

All replies

• Hotmail1,

Depending on the level of detail you can either show immediate external predecessors and successors or everything in both schedules. To show the immediate links, go to Tools/Options/View tab and check the options to show external predecessors and successors. To show everything, create a master schedule.

Note that in order to see the "ghost tasks" (immediate external predecessors/successors) in a master file, the master must be static (i.e. uncheck "link to project" when inserting the subprojects). Ghost tasks do not appear in a dynamic master.

It also sounds like you've set up a set of custom bar styles. Make sure you include a bar style for external tasks in your custom set.

Hope this helps.

John

Sunday, May 8, 2011 5:03 PM
  • I have a Master schedule already set up and it has been set up for awhile now with The external pred and succ set up.

I have external tasks set up as part of my custom set.

I don't understand the "Ghost tasks" sentence where the Master must be static to show the external tasks it seems.

That won't work at all. I need to have a dynamic schedule as the sub projects are all inserted project schedules and other than around 50 other tasks in the Master thyat is all there is.

When the inserted projects are updated I want everything to be dynamically updated whether the schedule is updated by itself or whther I have the Master open.

I have taskA in schedule 1 linked to to task B in schedule 2 and I want the Gannt view to show the line drawn where they are connected and I need the insetred schedules to be dynamic. I don't understand why it won't show that line connection

How do I do that?

Thanks

Sunday, May 8, 2011 7:49 PM