locked
SCCM 2012 "Software Update – Based Client installation" Fails to download and install RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi Guys

     

    Has anybody had problems deploying the SCCM 2012 sp1 client using WSUS/SCCM( Client Push method works fine)?

     

    What I have done is setup the SCCM 2012 sp1 on Server 2012 and configured the "Software Update – Based Client installation" method, next I configured GPO to point the WSUS/SCCM server to the clients.

     

    After that the client install appears on the workstation fine through widows update, I can see the SCCM client (5.00.7804.1000) appear, but when it comes to downloading and installing it fails with a error code 80244019  "Windows update ran into a problem".

     

    Is there any logs that I can have a look at or is there a process that I missing?

     

    Cheers

    Friday, May 10, 2013 7:41 AM

Answers

  • Hi

    Problem is resolved, I had to log a call to Microsoft Premier support.

    My SUP was trying to publish the "Based Client installation" to a MP that had been deleted (can only happen to me). So I had to remove and reinstall my SUP and WSUS roll on the box to get it to work.

    I also got your "error code 1" on the client machine, this was because the subnet the machine is on is not defined in your Boundaries "IP address range". I moved the machine to a boundary that was in SCCM "Boundaries" and the client installed fine after that.

    Cheers

    • Proposed as answer by TorstenMMVP Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Neill Moir Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:13 PM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:00 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Have you enabled the Software Update client agent in the SCCM 2012 client settings? The updates are not installed by the WSUS agent when WSUS is integrated with SCCM. The SCCM Agent will be the Component that downloads and deploy the software updates. Have you downloaded and deployed the Software Updates in the SCCm Console?

    Regards,
    Jörgen


    -- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

    Friday, May 10, 2013 8:04 AM
  •  

    Hi Jorgen

    If you are referring to the Configuration Manager Client then no I haven't downloaded and deployed it, all I have done is tick the enable box on the client installation settings for (Software Update – Based Client installation). How do I do that then? Because I can’t see it in the software library.

    Thanks so much for your help

    Friday, May 10, 2013 8:40 AM
  • Ok now I'm getting some errors.

    I disabled the "Enable Software Update – Based Client installation" and then enabled it again and in the WCM.log file I see the following error

    "PublishApplication(9D5353E5-DA80-48C3-97DE-C9C528F73A2D) failed with error System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): CreateDirectory failed~~   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.FileSystemUtilities.CreateDirectory(String path)~~   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.CreatePackageDirectory(String customDirectoryName)~~   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.PublishSignedPackage(String sourceCabFile, String packageDirectoryName)~~   at Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.WSUS.WSUSServer.PublishApplication(String sPackageId, String sSDPFile, String sCabFile)"

    And

    "ERROR: Failed to publish sms client to WSUS, error = 0x80004005"

    Friday, May 10, 2013 12:40 PM
  • Hi Neill,

    Have you been able to solve your problem? I'm having similar issues with my setup, but my windows update is giving me error code 1, not 80244019.

    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:41 AM
  • Hi

    Problem is resolved, I had to log a call to Microsoft Premier support.

    My SUP was trying to publish the "Based Client installation" to a MP that had been deleted (can only happen to me). So I had to remove and reinstall my SUP and WSUS roll on the box to get it to work.

    I also got your "error code 1" on the client machine, this was because the subnet the machine is on is not defined in your Boundaries "IP address range". I moved the machine to a boundary that was in SCCM "Boundaries" and the client installed fine after that.

    Cheers

    • Proposed as answer by TorstenMMVP Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Neill Moir Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:13 PM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:00 AM
  • I was getting the Code 1 error on a new install. 

    To track this down I went to Monitoring -> System Status -> Site Status. This was showing errors on the SUP and MP. Clicking Show Messages -> Errors led me to a message saying SSL was not properly configured in IIS, a certificates issue.

    Simple workaround pending investigating the certificate problem was to go to Administration -> Site Configuration -> Serviers and Site System Roles -> Management point -> Properties and change from HTTPS to HTTP.

    Hope this helps - as I'm discovering there is quite a steep learning curve for a newbie getting SCCM up and running.

    Tim

    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 12:19 PM