windows 7 sleep mode RRS feed

• Question

• When I close the lid on my HP pavilion entertainment notebook it goes into sleep mode fine. When I leave the lid open even though I have it set to go to sleep after 20 min when plugged in it won't enter sleep mode. I have tried everything I can think of and a lot of trouble shooting steps Ive found online. Can anyone help? 
    Monday, August 2, 2010 1:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Could you please take the following suggestions to troubleshoot the problem?

1.      Open a command prompt and run the command

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

The command will list all the devices which can wake up computer.

2.      Try to disable each of these devices above one by one and test the problem until you find the culprit that is waking up the computer.

powercfg -devicedisablewake "device name"

3.      Once you find the one that is causing problems, you can re-enable the other devices.

powercfg -deviceenablewake "device name"

Hope it helps.

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:30 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:30 AM

All replies

• Hello Kenjd,

Thanks for your post.

Based on your description, I understand that you encounter a sleep mode issue on Windows 7-based HP laptop. In your scenario, when you close the lid of the laptop, the computer goes into sleep mode normally, while the system is not going to sleep mode if the lid is open and the power cable is plugged in.

Regarding this issue, I recommend you to troubleshoot using the steps below:

1.       In the location Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings (currently used by you), check if Put the computer to sleep under Plugged in scenario is set to the correct value rather than Never.

2.       If the "20 minutes" value is set correctly, please click Change advanced power settings, select the currently used plan in the pop-down menu, expand Sleep\Sleep after node and confirm the value is set correctly; expand Allow hybrid sleep, Hibernate after and Allow wake timer nodes and confirm all are set to Off, Never and Disable.

If the issue still occurs after the options above are all configured, please go on to collect some information:

·         What is the situation if the battery is used and lid is open?

·         When the sleep mode is supposed to enter, please open Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc) to check Windows Logs\System and Windows Logs\Application. If the sleep command is given and some factor disallow the sleep, the message can be logged there.

·         Check if the updated version of BIOS is ready in HP Website. If so, please follow the document from HP and update the BIOS.

·         Let us know the model of the laptop if the issue continues.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Regards,
    Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Robinson Zhang Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:21 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Thank You, I made all the changes to the setting you gave me. The problem still persists. My BIOS are up to date. I looked in the event viewer I must admit I didn't really know how to find is a sleep command was given. My laptop is a HP DV5t-1000 CTO entertainment PC. 

Thanks,

Ken    

Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:58 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please take the following suggestions to troubleshoot the problem?

1.      Open a command prompt and run the command

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

The command will list all the devices which can wake up computer.

2.      Try to disable each of these devices above one by one and test the problem until you find the culprit that is waking up the computer.

powercfg -devicedisablewake "device name"

3.      Once you find the one that is causing problems, you can re-enable the other devices.

powercfg -deviceenablewake "device name"

Hope it helps.

Miya Yao

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:30 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:30 AM
  • when I type that command in it says it's not recognized as a internal or external command?
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:51 PM