Disable libraries entirely by group policy? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are planning a Windows 7 deployment in the near future and are working on our group policies so the desktops operate as we would like them to.

As Libraries are essentially useless to us as we do not use indexing on our fileservers, I'd like to disable the libraries feature entirely and just have standard My Documents, My Pictures, My Music and My Videos folders re-directing to the network as per Windows XP.

Now I've got the folder redirection sorted, thats not a problem, but the Documents shortcut on the start menu opens the documents library, the pictures shortcut opens the pictures library, etc. I dont want any of that, and would like these shortcuts to open the physical folders rather than the library.

How do I do this please?
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 1:38 PM

Answers

• Hello Ryster,

Thank you for your question. To address the question about changing the links in the Start Menu: Unfortunately that is not currently possible as these buttons are not customizable.

A workaround that might work for you is:
    1- Remove the buttons from the Start Menu (Right Click on Start Menu > Properties > Customize > Dont Display This Item)
    2- Pin the physical folders to the Start Menu (drag and drop the folder icon over the Start Menu button).

These pinned folders would now appear in the left hand side of the start menu.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Tarek
    • Proposed as answer by Tarek Ayna Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:40 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:47 PM

All replies

• Hello Ryster,

Thank you for your question. To address the question about changing the links in the Start Menu: Unfortunately that is not currently possible as these buttons are not customizable.

A workaround that might work for you is:
    1- Remove the buttons from the Start Menu (Right Click on Start Menu > Properties > Customize > Dont Display This Item)
    2- Pin the physical folders to the Start Menu (drag and drop the folder icon over the Start Menu button).

These pinned folders would now appear in the left hand side of the start menu.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Tarek
    • Proposed as answer by Tarek Ayna Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:40 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:47 PM
  • Could you please explain how to do that Via group policy as i can't find any setting in group policy that completely turns off windows libraries...

i have had to resort to a logon script that deletes c:\users\%username%\Documents (and pictures Etc.) as students were saving into these folders and not into their redirected Documents on the documents server and when they logged off the local cached profile is deleted along with their work, i can't believe how hard microsoft makes my life at times...

• Edited by {tBs}-Battousai Monday, November 22, 2010 3:06 PM typo
    • Proposed as answer by kc_ Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:55 AM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 3:05 PM
  • I realize that this is a very old thread, but for the sake of us who have been late to deploy windows 7, I have posted an answer to this in another MS forum.  Here is the link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/098c7996-12a8-4680-bc47-0b20ac8b2eed

Hope this helps someone

Matt Montalto

Monday, December 31, 2012 5:47 PM