Windows 10 "Feature update" to 1607 failing almost always - stuck at Downloading 0% RRS feed

• Question

• We have about 150 computers running Windows 10 Enterprise version 1511, that we want to upgrade to version 1607 with our WSUS server running on Windows Server 2012 R2. We need to complete these upgrades during the break between our academic terms, because the upgrade is so disruptive.

This "Feature update" is visible in our WSUS server and approved for 70 of those computers, but has failed on about 98% of them. The report I have from users is that the "Feature update" appears available, it starts, and the Downloading progress bar sits at 0% (or in one case, 1%) forever. Rebooting the client does not help. Stopping and restarting the Windows Update service does not help. No one, even technical users, has seen any pop up dialog boxes or other windows that might be waiting for a user action. Except for the version 1607 upgrade, most of these computers are current with all other Windows Updates.

In the WSUS Status Report for all these Failed computers, the Event reported is always "[Unable to Find Resource] ReportingEvent.Client.167; Parameters: Feature update to Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1607, en-us". I cannot find any information online about what this means or how to fix it. (We have made the fix to add esd to the recognized MIME types on the IIS server for WSUS.)

So I have two questions:

1. Can anyone suggest where the problem is and a way to fix it?

2. If no fix is possible quickly, can anyone suggest a non-user-interactive workaround? For example, I downloaded the "Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant" .EXE. If I run that with local SYSTEM privileges, will it accomplish the desired result?

Sande Nissen, Carleton College

Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:41 PM

All replies

• Hi SNissen,

1. Do you download the win10 upgrade after installing KB3095113 and KB3159706 (with manual steps)? If not, you may reinstall the upgrade file:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sus/2016/01/29/how-to-delete-upgrades-in-wsus/

2. On the windows 10 clients, run windows update troubleshooter and reset windows update components:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 2, 2016 6:50 AM
  • Hi!

Manually adding .msu and .esd in IIS server mime types (application/octet-stream) and restarting IIS solved this problem for me.

Saturday, December 3, 2016 2:49 PM
  • Hi SNissen,

Have you got any progress with your issue? Could the above reply be of help, if yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if not, feel free to feed back.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 5, 2016 1:49 AM
  • We got the exact same problem.  Added .esd still same issue.  Sande, do you have a fix? 
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:02 PM