none
Full Backup Jobs & Tapes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

What I would like
    Store many full backups of the DC onto one tape.  Any suggestions, links, or tips on how to allow this?

• This way I can store a years worth of DC backups onto only a tape.  Well okay, I wouldn't be that cheap.  But you get the idea.  Then if my domain is compromised I can revert back to hopefully a safe state.

Scenario
    DPM backs up a domain controller system state short term to disk (daily), then long term to tape (once weekly).  Because the tape backup is a full backup, DPM requires a new tape each week.  This is only a few GB's for a 1.5TB tape.

We dont store these tapes offsite (the DCs are off site)

So I am backing up about 20GB of data on one tape every week, kind of a waste in this scenario, yeah?

Saturday, May 19, 2018 2:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is by design of DPM I believe.

Long-Term Tape Protection
    A tape will be allocated for each full backup job. The reason long-term full tape backups are on separate tapes is because they are meant to be stored offline, and possibly offsite. So each long-term backup recovery point created will always be on a new tape.

As far as I know tape protection is something that people are trying to move on from, since disk prices have gone down ever since and you can get NAS for quite a reasonable price.

I myself used long-term protection on NL disks in our disk system.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

Saturday, May 19, 2018 12:27 PM