Re-Join SBS to Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I recently had a SBS 2003 crash and I wiped it clean and reformatted. I seized FSMO roles from anothe DC I have on the Domain. My question is how best to proceed to re-join SBS 2003 to the domain and get things back to normal.

I plan to install Exchange, Sharepoint, etc. The problem is that all of these things get set up during the SBS Install Setup process. Do I have to set up all this stuff manually, run domainprep, forestprep, install Exchange like on a regular server setup or can I join the domain and run the Small Business Server setup wizard which makes the configuration less time consuming???

At this point I have re-joined SBS 2003 to the domain, transferred all of the 5 roles back to the SBS 2003 and AD looks like it's replicating OK with the other DC's in the domain.

Before I run the Setup Wizard, I was wondering if anybody has done it this way before? i.e joining a Small Business Server to a domain  and running the Setup wizard after it's in a domain?

Thanks

Miguel Fra
    Miguel Fra www.falconits.com
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:28 PM

Answers

• Hello All,

I just wanted to let everybody know (in case somebody Googles this) that the SBS 2003 Setup Wizard worked fine and everything got set up perfectly. I had to do it twice, the first time I applied the service packs and updates PRIOR to joining the domain and running the SBS setup wizard and it was crash and burn all the way. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but the second time I did it differently and it worked like a charm.

Here are the steps I took in case somebody runs into the same situation:

When the Small Business Server 2003 RAID died, I reformatted and re-installed the OS

From a backup DC, I deleted the orphaned object entries in AD and for Exchange (I don't think I had to do this but I did it just in case)

I seized the FSMO roles onto the backup Domain Controller.

On the SBS Server, I ran DCPROMO, joined the domain as secondary Domain Controller

Once AD replicated, I moved the FSMO roles back to the SBS 2003 and set up SBS as Catalog Server and OPS Master

I moved ALL the FSMO roles back to the SBS Server 2003

Ran the SBS 2003 Setup Wizard and whammo! Worked like a charm!

Now I just have to install the SP updates, recover the mailbox store and network shares.

Miguel
    • Marked as answer by Miguel Fra Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Miguel Fra Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miguel Fra Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:40 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:37 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I just wanted to post back that the SBS setup wizard does in fact run, but it's not quite so easy. If anybody has recovered from SBS 2003 before please let me know what's the best way. 

Thanks all

Miguel
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Hello All,

I just wanted to let everybody know (in case somebody Googles this) that the SBS 2003 Setup Wizard worked fine and everything got set up perfectly. I had to do it twice, the first time I applied the service packs and updates PRIOR to joining the domain and running the SBS setup wizard and it was crash and burn all the way. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but the second time I did it differently and it worked like a charm.

Here are the steps I took in case somebody runs into the same situation:

When the Small Business Server 2003 RAID died, I reformatted and re-installed the OS

From a backup DC, I deleted the orphaned object entries in AD and for Exchange (I don't think I had to do this but I did it just in case)

I seized the FSMO roles onto the backup Domain Controller.

On the SBS Server, I ran DCPROMO, joined the domain as secondary Domain Controller

Once AD replicated, I moved the FSMO roles back to the SBS 2003 and set up SBS as Catalog Server and OPS Master

I moved ALL the FSMO roles back to the SBS Server 2003

Ran the SBS 2003 Setup Wizard and whammo! Worked like a charm!

Now I just have to install the SP updates, recover the mailbox store and network shares.

Miguel
    • Marked as answer by Miguel Fra Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Miguel Fra Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miguel Fra Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:40 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:37 AM