Help! Vista x64 WinRE Recover Partition RRS feed

• Question

• Allright guys, I'm pretty savvy, but have limited experience with boot information. I want to create a recovery partition for my Vista x64, using the complete pc backup in the control panel. I've created a WinRE image, and I know how to integrate it into my F8 menu, but only from the c: drive. What I need to know, and where my knowledge is lacking, is how to boot from another partition without any of the boot record being on the root partition. Let's say I have a partition: Recovery [R:]. I need it to be COMPLETELY self-sufficient. I want WinRE on r: and I want it to boot from r:, not from c:.

The point is to be able to completely overwrite every other partition, including c:. If I'm booting WinRE from the c: drive, then the restore won't work because I'd be trying to overwrite WinRE's boot information, which would be in use. I have a 500Gb SATA hard drive partitioned as follows:  Vista [C:] @ 120Gb,  Data [F:] @ 300Gb,  and Recovery [R:] @ about 40Gb, all in that order. Do I need to move the recovery partition so that it's before c:, or can I leave it where it is? What is the Mb/cylinder limit to where a partition is no longer bootable? I can resize r: down to under 20Gb if I need to.

Let me know if there are any other details you need. Thanks for the help!

What I DON'T need:

-I don't need any suggestions on third party partitioning programs. I have Acronis, but I only want to use Vista's built-in app.

-I don't need any suggestions to boot from the cd. I already know I can boot from the setup disc, I don't want to do that.

-Also, I don't need any suggestions to back up to DVD's, I don't want to do that either.

Basically, if you're not answering any of the specific questions above, then you're not helping. I know what I want to do, I just need some help on how to do it correctly. Thanks again!

Jason

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:04 AM

All replies

• Right, didn't see how outdated this was. But was gooing to say; using a custom 'factory' image , or recovery image where all is needed to be partitioned and you have a problem with the rec partition also being wiped, I would say, since the env is already loaded into ram , I would say, when the format is completed and you have recreated the partitions structure, use imagex, to reapply the rec. environment you booted from first of all, then use imagex to apply all your recovery images. Voila, when you reboot, the R has been reapplied whilst in ram, so when you reboot , that is not in use, but you will have it gaain to boot into it, I would think.

You might have to run a bcdboot command after applying images to make sure boot runs though.

this might" be helpful for some more recent problems which are based on same situation si I replied, thats all.

Solar

ah and to make it more stand alone, I believe making it a partition of type 0x27 will help!
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:09 PM