Media Center, Vaio & ATI Tuner Anomaly RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I am having a strange interference problem with most channels except for the HD Monster channel and a few others HD and non HD channels. The cable dudes were here and they checked everything and of course said that the problem was prolly the ATI TV tuner. Not sure if this is true or not but it's strange that most of the channels are messed up all but one. Basically went thru 3 cable cards with the same problem. Doesnt seem to be all hardware related or all software related.

The first link is the picture with the interference and the second link is the picture, one second later, without the interference. It basically goes back and forth like that.

I am on a sony vaio all in one using an ATI Wonder TV Digital Tuner.
    OS is Vista Ultimate.

I got a Cable Card from my cable company and the info I read says that is it compatible with media center.
    The tuner is set up just like a set top box with the cable directly plugged into it. My video card is nvidia, not sure the model number tho.
    The vaio is sold as being able to record HD tv and movies so I'm thinking that the hardware should allow for it. The TV tuner came with the vaio. The MCE version I am running is 6.6001.18000. The cable card is QAM256.

Any heads out there know what's what?

thanks in advance!

Friday, October 3, 2008 2:10 AM

Answers

•  Leftyrad wrote:
    Thanks for the link but I've posted there already and have yet to hear back from folks. Is the ATI TV Wonder Tuner compatible with MC? An article on microsoft from 2007 says that it is not.
    That article would have a 'grain-of-salt' factor to it:  CableCard tuners aren't compatible with 'normal' versions of Vista.  They are, however, compatible with a PC that's sold as Digital Cable-ready, and that has a second product key on the label (for CableCard activation), such as your Vaio.

The cable guy may well have been right - ATI has had a lot of firmware and hardware issues with those tuners.  First order of business is to make sure that you do have the latest firmware installed on the tuner, and also are running the latest drivers.  If it's still broken after that, call ATI to talk about an RMA on the tuner.

Friday, October 3, 2008 4:01 AM

All replies

• Hi

I think the best advice that I can give to you is a link to the GreenButton Forums.

The people there eat, breathe, and live Media Center and computer based multimedia. There are also several members of the Microsoft media components support team that answer questions there.

They should be able to give you a solution for the problem.

The Green Button - Forums:
    http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/default.aspx

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Friday, October 3, 2008 2:56 AM
  • Thanks for the link but I've posted there already and have yet to hear back from folks. Is the ATI TV Wonder Tuner compatible with MC? An article on microsoft from 2007 says that it is not.

thanks for the reply.
    Friday, October 3, 2008 3:42 AM
  •  Leftyrad wrote:
    Thanks for the link but I've posted there already and have yet to hear back from folks. Is the ATI TV Wonder Tuner compatible with MC? An article on microsoft from 2007 says that it is not.
    That article would have a 'grain-of-salt' factor to it:  CableCard tuners aren't compatible with 'normal' versions of Vista.  They are, however, compatible with a PC that's sold as Digital Cable-ready, and that has a second product key on the label (for CableCard activation), such as your Vaio.

The cable guy may well have been right - ATI has had a lot of firmware and hardware issues with those tuners.  First order of business is to make sure that you do have the latest firmware installed on the tuner, and also are running the latest drivers.  If it's still broken after that, call ATI to talk about an RMA on the tuner.

Friday, October 3, 2008 4:01 AM
  • Ok. Since I've done everything you mentioned I guess my next move is contacting ATI. Will do.

thanks
    Friday, October 3, 2008 6:27 AM