Sharepoint design workflow not relaunching on Item change RRS feed

• Question

• I have a monitoring work flow that essentially watches a field for an expiry date, then emails people to take action.

Detailed bit, incase is helps! the WF actually monitors a calculated field '1 month to expiry' which is Expiry - 30 days.

Anyway, when/if that Expiry date is modified, I need the WF to relaunch and stop the original.

I'm sure I've created WFs like this in the past, i.e relaunching on change, but this one doesn't want appear to attempt to launch another WF on change, let alone kill of the orginal.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Cheers

Russ.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:38 AM

Answers

•  

Hi RussHank,

I think maybe some design errors in your workflow caused this(created an item can start the workflow but update can’t). For example, circulation workflow in SharePoint designer is unable to start. if you set when update an item start the workflow, when you update the item, the workflow is start ,at the same time, if you update other item in your workflow, then it will trigger the workflow ,then workflow update the item again. So this is a  circulation, In SharePoint designer 2007,this circulation can’t start the workflow. you can refer to the following link.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepointdesigner/archive/2009/07/13/service-pack-2-prevents-an-on-change-workflow-from-starting-itself.aspx

Another things is you can remove some conditions and actions in your workflow, this can let your workflow more clearly, then add them, debug every steps.

Thanks,

Jack

Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:57 AM

All replies

•  

Hi RussHank,

Your SharePoint Designer workflow can’t start when an item has changed, what I care about is the account is whether “System Account”. Because the system account can’t start the workflow. Here is the solution .you should also check your workflow, ensure there is no business wrong in it.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/victorbutuza/archive/2009/03/14/workflows-do-not-start.aspx

Thanks,

Jack

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:36 AM
  • Thanks Jack,

Because our workflows are launching when the it is created I'm assuming this isn't relevant?

It's the fact that the workflow will not re-launch on modifying the item that is causing me the problem.

Cheers

Russ

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:32 PM
  •  

Hi RussHank,

I think maybe some design errors in your workflow caused this(created an item can start the workflow but update can’t). For example, circulation workflow in SharePoint designer is unable to start. if you set when update an item start the workflow, when you update the item, the workflow is start ,at the same time, if you update other item in your workflow, then it will trigger the workflow ,then workflow update the item again. So this is a  circulation, In SharePoint designer 2007,this circulation can’t start the workflow. you can refer to the following link.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepointdesigner/archive/2009/07/13/service-pack-2-prevents-an-on-change-workflow-from-starting-itself.aspx

Another things is you can remove some conditions and actions in your workflow, this can let your workflow more clearly, then add them, debug every steps.

Thanks,

Jack

Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:57 AM
  • Has this always been the case?

I'm pretty sure I've had workflows in the past that relaunched when the item got modified.

I understand that if the workflow modifies the items then it loops, if fact I worked that out the hard way, but in this application the WF simply monitors dates in the item, and I wanted to 'watch' the new date if changed by the user.

Cheers

Russ

Friday, February 24, 2012 11:11 AM