none
PWA and inconsistent unexpected errors RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

I have setup an instance of Project Server 2010. When I go to WPA main page, sometimes it loads ok, most of the time it doesn't load some of the webparts and sometimes it fails to load completely. In all these cases, corresponding error in the log file looks like this:

System.ServiceModel.ProtocolException: The content type text/html; charset=utf-8 of the response message does not match the content type of the binding (application/soap+xml; charset=utf-8). If using a custom encoder, be sure that the IsContentTypeSupported method is implemented properly. The first 1024 bytes of the response were: '<html>      <head>          <title>An item with the same key has already been added.</title>          <style>           body {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size: .7em;color:black;}            p {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;color:black;margin-top: -5px}           b {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:bold;color:black;margin-top: -5px}           H1 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:18pt;color:red }           H2 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:14pt;color:maroon }           pre {font-family:"Lucida Console";font-size: .9em}           .marker {font-weight: bold; color: black;text-decoration: none;}           .version {color: gray;}           .error {margin-bottom: 10px;}           .expandable { text-decoration:underline; font-weight:bold; color:navy; cursor:hand; }          </style>      </head>        <body bgcolor="white">                <span><H1>Server Error in '/584353a1f28d480d96066edf76354b83' Application.<hr width=100% size=1 color=silver>'. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.   

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()   

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)     -

-- End of inner exception stack trace ---    Server stack trace:    

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ValidateRequestReplyResponse(HttpWebRequest request, HttpWebResponse response, HttpChannelFactory factory, WebException responseException, ChannelBinding channelBinding)   

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)   

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)   

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SecurityChannelFactory`1.SecurityRequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)   

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.RequestChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)   

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)   

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)   

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)    Exception rethrown

at [0]:    

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)   

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)   

at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Interfaces.IPWA.AdminReadSiteMapTyped()   

at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebServiceProxy.PWA.AdminReadSiteMapTyped()   

at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PwaSiteMapProvider.RefreshCache()   

at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PwaSiteMapProvider.LoadSiteMapData()   

at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJUtility.RegisterPWAClientGlobalVariables(Page page, PJContext context)   

at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJWebPage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)   

at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()   

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

This behavior is inconsistent for the main page, i.e. it may not work and if I click reload immediately after it would work. Although for some of the pages it fails consistently, for example I can't get to the resource center, I always get the message below and a log file records similar to above:

This Web Part was unable to load.

Information that may be useful in solving this problem was written to the Unified Logging Service (ULS) log on the Project Server with the following ID:

3424d781-0e39-4887-bc66-166a2ccfe205

For more information, contact your Project Server administrator.

I also get an error when I am trying to connect to Project Server through Microsoft Project Professional:

"No permissions to read Project Server Enterprise Global file. The Project Server Enterprise Global could not be accessed. Contact your Administrator"

Any help with resolving this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Igor

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Igor,

I would first, set the trust in IE browswer to point to the new PWA site or server.  If that doesn't fix, then I would do some sanity checks in SharePoint to see if site collections and general things are working properly in SharePoint.  If SharePoint seems stable and working properly.

Finally, if I think I would reread and go through the documentation found in Technet and reinstall and make sure that you understand each step of the installation.  If you reinstall project server, I would enable more logging of information in SharePoint central and turn on SQL PROFILER to look for details as to why things are failing. The ID is related to what is in the SQL profiler and if the profiler is not running, you have nothing to cross reference.

Cheers!

Michael WHarton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Just to clarify Michael's response the ID is found in the ULS logs and is available as long as your SharePoint Central admin is configured to log (which it will be by default) - and does not involve SQL Profiler.

This failure looks far more likely to be related to IIS and if is intermittent should not relate to the IE settings.  If your server is not powerful enough then this may be another reason for these intermittent problems.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, September 24, 2010 11:14 PM
    Owner