Windows 7 media players and IE freezing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This problem is becomming seriously frustrating as I can not even listen to one song on a media player (WMP, VLC), without it freezing at various points then resuming after 10 - 30 seconds. Watching a video of any sort on the MP's will certainly result in freezes at various points, usually jittering playback (freeze, unfreeze then long freeze) for 30 seconds to two minutes.

I have windows 7 32 bit, and my motherboard is S-series (energy saver) G31M-ES2L

I have 4Gb RAM and 2 x 1 terrabyte internal HDD's.

If you need system specs please explain how I can retrieve them and I will gladly post them.

I would appreciate any help or advice very much.

Thank you

Friday, August 13, 2010 9:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before going any further, I would like to confirm that if it freeze when playing the online song or video or there are two separate problems with the system.

If there are two separate problems with the system, I suggest to discuss the Windows Media Player issue in this thread to avoid the confusion. For another issue, please separate a new thread.

First, please let me know if the system also freeze when Windows Media Player is freezing. Can other operations be done?

I suggest we take following troubleshooting steps:

1.     Update the audio card driver

2.     Test the issue in Clean Boot

3.     Reload the Media Player 12 in the Windows features on or off feature

4.     Please increase the size of virtual memory

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Sabrina

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, August 16, 2010 10:09 AM
  • I would like to suggest you check and disable all the hardware accelerations for the display card and the sound card properties.

If no hardware acceleration is available for the display card and the sound card, I also would like to suggest you check and remove the Plug-ins of Windows Media Player.

If the issue persists, you may need to perform an In-Place upgrade to repair the system.

In-place Upgrade
    ============
    1.    Start the computer.
    2.    Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
    3.    Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

a.     If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

b.     If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

b1. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK. Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b2. Click Install now.

4.    When you reach the Which type of installation to you want? screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows 7.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:46 AM
  • Media player and IE tend to both freeze together if they are both open. I run Propellerheads Reason 4 and Record which are very stable programs and these have never frozen for a second, even during IE and WMP freezes.  I installed ASIO4ALL soundcard drivers without much dfference. About an hour ago I installed a full codec pack from here: http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm as was recommended to me, and since then everything has been running very well, I tried rapidly moving the time bar in WMP while a video was playing and it didnt need to buffer at all. It has only been an hour but it does seem to be working very well.

Would anyone be able to explain to me why codecs become corrupt, so maybe I can avoid this in future?

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:01 AM