Oh Dear - appv 5 crashed and burned... RRS feed

• Question

• Oh dear, looks like our app-v PoC has crashed and burned and is a non-starter...

So on 2008 R2 RDS (not using shared content mode as too much network traffic) I had a bunch of apps setup on the mangement server added using http as the protocol. These were published out fine to the clients.We then changed strategy to use SMB for application delivery instead as this can sit on a cluster for better availability. So I unpublished the packages, then deleted them from the console. I then added them back in using the SMB share address instead.

Unfortunately what I think has happened is this has screwed up all the clients. The event log has numerous errors in it about packages not being valid. I think because the app ID's are the same but they have been removed and reinstalled on the server using a different protocol?
    If I try and uninstall the client and remove all the packages it now becomes unstable. I am also getting issues where I am being denied access permissions to the subfolders on c:\programdata\app-v in order to delete the contents (either using powershell or manually once the client is uninstalled).

Eventlog example = "Package {fbd966f8-a508-4a6a-be6e-206687e7fd85} version {d3756bbb-239b-41a3-9a88-e91b44a68a56} failed configuration in folder 'C:\ProgramData\App-V\FBD966F8-A508-4A6A-BE6E-206687E7FD85\D3756BBB-239B-41A3-9A88-E91B44A68A56' with error 0x4C401F0C-0x8007012F."

now got 4 unstable client servers which we are having to recover from backup. One of them repeatedly hangs when trying to access files located in one of the appdata\app-v subfolders...

Customer got nervy about the stability of the platform (understandably) and has now postponed it for the moment.

• Edited by ApMozza Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:14 AM
    • Moved by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, April 4, 2014 4:36 AM Not related to Server App-V
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:09 AM

Answers

• Any thoughts on the best was to execute the PS command "Get-AppvClientPackage | Remove-AppvClientPackage" across multiple servers as it doesn't have a '-machine' switch?  It not a problem on my 5 server demo but across 80+ servers in the live fam may be a challenge!

80+ servers, that's not really a PoC envirnoment anymore ;-)
    Anyhow, afaik you can run the folowing command to remove all packages from a client:

Get-AppvClientPackage -All | Unpublish-AppvClientPackage -Global | Remove-AppvClientPackage
    Remember to first unpublish (and remove) connectiongroups.
    Monday, April 7, 2014 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hello,

As you stated that you only unpublished the packages, I would certainly understand the instability.

When you perform the add-appvclientpackage (regardless of what infrastructure / command-line does this) on the client the path to the package will be set. As you only unpublished the package, the package will still be set on all those clients with whatever the original path is - and therefore any attempt to use them / load additional data would be with the original path in charge.

A better approach would have been to verified the change with one package on one host and determine the route to proceed forward (within a development Environment). This would most likely have identified the following steps;

1. Unpublish package

2. Remove package from all clients

3. Publish package with new path

4. Ensure that client operates with the new path

Had you tested the path you now decided to run for in a development / one host scenario; well atleast it would only be one host screwed up.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Sunday, April 6, 2014 2:58 PM
  • Hi Nicke, yeah I guessed that would be the root cause. However I am pretty sure most of the apps were fully downloaded so I wouldn't have expected major issues. Could one dodgy app really cause the app-v client to

Any thoughts on the best was to execute the PS command "Get-AppvClientPackage | Remove-AppvClientPackage" across multiple servers as it doesn't have a '-machine' switch?  It not a problem on my 5 server demo but across 80+ servers in the live fam may be a challenge!

###

Also, I was eventually able to delete the cache folders by taking ownership of each folder and then adding myself with full control permissions directly (as opposed to being a nested administrator).

I did however have one server who's client I simply could not re-install (5.0 SP2). I was able to uninstall it, seach the computer and registry and delete anything containing "app-V" but I was unable to start the client service with the event ID 575 error. However, I was able to install app-v client with SP1 that worked perfectly. As soon as I ran setup to upgrade that client it failed again...

Monday, April 7, 2014 9:53 AM
  • Any thoughts on the best was to execute the PS command "Get-AppvClientPackage | Remove-AppvClientPackage" across multiple servers as it doesn't have a '-machine' switch?  It not a problem on my 5 server demo but across 80+ servers in the live fam may be a challenge!

80+ servers, that's not really a PoC envirnoment anymore ;-)
    Anyhow, afaik you can run the folowing command to remove all packages from a client:

Get-AppvClientPackage -All | Unpublish-AppvClientPackage -Global | Remove-AppvClientPackage
    Remember to first unpublish (and remove) connectiongroups.
    Monday, April 7, 2014 3:16 PM