none
Windows 10 upgrade wont let me keep files and settings

Question

• i upgraded from windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro some months ago. everything is working fine then all of a sudden command prompt, powershel and so many other programs stop working. tried refreshing they computer but no improvements. so i decided to do an upgrade with a windows 10 ISO, but in the middle of the upgrade where it asks what to keep, The part where it asks whaat to keep i notice that the first two options are greyed out, and it says at the bottom, "You can't keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps because your current version might be installed in an unsupported directory" how do i solve this . Thanks
    Monday, March 20, 2017 1:56 PM

All replies

• That error message usually indicates that the user is using an iso that is NOT exactly the same as the Win 10 currently running.

The iso has to be the same Edition, Language and Bit-version as the current Windows 10 running in the computer.

If you use an iso that is NOT identical, the system will consider the installation as Clean Install.
    Clean Install do not allow keeping settings, personal files or apps.

Monday, March 20, 2017 5:32 PM
  • Hi,

Open the Registry Editor:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion

Confirm the registry entry in the right pane as below:

After that, restart the computer to perform the In-Place Upgrade again to check the result.

In addition, the upgrade process will only allow the same language version of the ISO that installed on your machine.

Windows 10 ISO language should be the same as your installed Windows 10.

It should be the system local language, or we may call it install language.

The following command could help to identify the System language :

DISM /online /get-intl

If available, share us the screenshot and we will help to identify which language of Windows 10 ISO that you should download.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 6:50 AM
  • your current version might be installed in an unsupported directory

That might be a message which would be a guess to try to explain an unexpected permissions problem.  See if there are any diagnostics about it.  Unfortunately there is no clear pattern, regardless of scenario.  So, I might be running ProcMon to find and supplement whatever there is.

However, you may get some hints from this recent success story

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/13ada0a1-b02b-40c1-aaf0-61b93c81f36c/cummulative-updates-fail-under-windows-10-build-1067?forum=win10itprosetup#d4f5300f-158b-44da-858a-23114785b486 

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 2:19 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the insight. by running the "WINVER" command I discovered the version and build of my OS,(VERSION 1607 BUILD 14393.693) so where can i download an ISO with this build number or version number? do i just need the ISO with just  the same build, or must the ISO be the same build and version for it to work? 

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:13 AM
  • Thanks for the info, when i opened that link , the first thing i saw there was "open powershell", powershell, cmd and so many other services stopped working on the system, so i cant even try that solution!!!
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:18 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the insight. by running the "WINVER" command I discovered the version and build of my OS,(VERSION 1607 BUILD 14393.693) so where can i download an ISO with this build number or version number? do i just need the ISO with just  the same build, or must the ISO be the same build and version for it to work? 

Thanks.

Have you read my post?

Check that registry and your system language.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 24, 2017 8:10 AM
  • Yes I have read your Post! i have checked the registry entries and they are correct.

I cant run DSM because my OS is so broken, CMD, powershell , DISM and everyother shell are no longer working i just get error 0xc000000142. so many other apps are not working either!! i found out the language from cross referencing info gotten from the registry and MS language codes (0409 -English United States). so what do i do now?

Friday, March 24, 2017 5:20 PM
  • error 0xc000000142

C:\>Set /a c = 0x0142
    C:\>net helpmsg %c%
    The target device has insufficient resources to complete the operation.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, March 24, 2017 9:16 PM
  • C:\>Set /a c = 0x0142
    C:\>net helpmsg %c%
    The target device has insufficient resources to complete the operation.

What does all these mean?

Monday, March 27, 2017 2:13 PM
  • What does all these mean?

It shows you how vague your symptom description is so far but indicates a way forward.  E.g. what is "the target device"?  why are there "insufficient resources" on it?  what "operation" needs to be completed?

A diagnostic resource that I found recently but which apparently is not directly linked in that "success story" I pointed out (but may be linked indirectly) is

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/deploy/resolve-windows-10-upgrade-errors?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Otherwise, as usual I would be running ProcMon to try to discover which diagnostics would actually be applicable.  E.g. filter with Operation Is WriteFile and then summarize with Count Occurrences on the Path field.  Then you may be able to infer when a write that you were interested in occurred in the trace, remove the filter and see what other trace events might have contributed to its generation.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, March 27, 2017 5:10 PM
  • Thanks for the effort so far, but we all know that Microsoft is terrible at resolving errors like this, someone wrote that piece of code and associated it with this error, but why they wont tell us exactly what the error means it still baffles me!!! But back to my problem, because i knoqw chasing after error codes and what they mean especially when its windows OS related is always a dead end i've chosen to do a re-install, but this same reinstall wont let me keep my files and settings. according to what you guys have stated here i need an ISO with the same language and setting as the one am currently running, NOW, will someone tell me where i can download this ISO for this particular version of windows 10? (NB : OS is VERSION 1607 BUILD 14393.693, Language is En-Us(English United States)) Thanks in advance!!!!!
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

You mentioned that it's Windows 10 Pro edition.

You could perform the upgrade using the Media Creation Tool:

Download Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Friday, March 31, 2017 3:15 AM
  • i Tried using the creation tool to upgrade, i keep getting Error 0x80200011 - 0x90017, tried all the solutions in the associated error recovery articles, Nothing Worked!!! Thats why I wanted to use an ISO to do the upgrade. Any Other ideas? Especially about getting an ISO thats Compatible with my current installation.
    Friday, March 31, 2017 12:11 PM
  • Error 0x80200011 - 0x90017

This help page implies that the code means there is a failure in the 9th stage of whatever process you were attempting.  That would mean it was getting much further than the 5 phases it documents.  Perhaps getting near the end?  Otherwise, ignoring the nine, we may be able to infer that the 0017 is

17 SP_EXECUTION_OP_BOOT

However, I'm not sure I would want to assume that the 020 0011  would mean

PS>net helpmsg (0x11)
    The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive.

for category 32

FACILITY_BACKGROUNDCOPY
    The source of the error code is background copy control

But if it did I would use this as a possible clue to look at what BITS might have been doing.

Also, of course you would have more of an idea how appropriate the notion of "a different drive" would be in your particular context.

wanted to use an ISO to do the upgrade

Supposedly we can use the MCT to generate an ISO, so have you tried that?

ISO file. Save an ISO file to your PC

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, March 31, 2017 6:01 PM