Lookup Field is not showing all the values in the drop down RRS feed

• Question

• Hello There,

I have a list created in SharePoint 2010. The list name is "Financial" and the columns within that list are too many but the first column is "Work Unit" which I am using in different list to get the values from and have 360 items added in the list. 

Then I have different list called "Request Form" where I have "Work Unit" field created as a lookup field and getting information from "Financial" list and In this column i have added "Work Unit". 

When I go on "Job Request form" to see the work unit look up values i only see 35 items in the drop down list where i have almost 360 items in the "Financial" list.

Can someone please tell me why this is happening i have the same issue with my "Location" lookup field as well. I do not understand why it is not showing all the 360 values in the drop down list?

Is there any limit for lookup field to show only few items in the drop down list and not all? Can someone please tell me the solution?

Thanks for your help in advance.

priti patel

Thursday, February 7, 2019 1:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Priti,

You are misusing the Lookup field.

The Lookup field Work Unit should be a lookUp field to a list called say Work Units. Then in the Work Units list add all the different Work Units.  When you enter a value the list financial it will show you all the Work Units in the Work Units list.

The Request form list should also lookup to Work Units and not Financials.

You are getting only 35 values returned because the is the number of Work Units available even if financials has 360 rows, there are only 35 unique Work Units.

Hope this helps!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't forget to “mark the replies as answers” if they helped, also set "like" it’s a boost for us to keep blogging J

• Proposed as answer by Victor Gruber Thursday, February 7, 2019 2:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by priti59 Thursday, February 7, 2019 7:37 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Priti,

You are misusing the Lookup field.

The Lookup field Work Unit should be a lookUp field to a list called say Work Units. Then in the Work Units list add all the different Work Units.  When you enter a value the list financial it will show you all the Work Units in the Work Units list.

The Request form list should also lookup to Work Units and not Financials.

You are getting only 35 values returned because the is the number of Work Units available even if financials has 360 rows, there are only 35 unique Work Units.

Hope this helps!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't forget to “mark the replies as answers” if they helped, also set "like" it’s a boost for us to keep blogging J

• Proposed as answer by Victor Gruber Thursday, February 7, 2019 2:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by priti59 Thursday, February 7, 2019 7:37 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 2:01 PM
  • Hi Victor, 

Thank you for your very quick response. 

But I am sorry but I really don't understand what you are trying to say.

How the Lookup field Work Unit can be a lookUp field to a list called say Work Units ? And how can we add different work units in the look up field that is not possible because lookup fields are always a drop down value you cannot enter it right ?  I am sorry if I misunderstood. 

The Lookup field Work Unit should be a lookUp field to a list called say Work Units. Then in the Work Units list add all the different Work Units.  When you enter a value the list financial it will show you all the Work Units in the Work Units list. - I really do not understand this part?

So, "Work unit" is a look up field in "Request form" list and inheriting values from different list called "Financial" list and i have "Work unit" column in Financial list as well but here i created it as a single line of text.   

Currently it is showing me 35 to 40 values in the "Work unit" Lookup  drop down in "Request form" list.  Where Financial list "Work unit" column has 360 rows added.

so, you are saying here that "Work unit" lookup field shows unique values only? But they are all different. All the rows has different values with number (For Example: 3012084114 SEM Physics). 

What is the other solution to see all those 360 items on the "Request Form" list? 

Thanks again!!

priti patel

• Edited by priti59 Thursday, February 7, 2019 4:16 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 4:05 PM
  • Hi Priti,

Can you show me a screen grab of the List Settings of the Financial List?

Thanks,

Victor

Thursday, February 7, 2019 9:04 PM
  • Hi Victor, 

I figured it out. In Infopath I added new data connection to the Financial list and added the workunit as a display name and  Id as a value. Now it works fine I can see all the 360 values in the lookup fields now. 

Thank you for your help. 

priti patel

Friday, February 8, 2019 1:43 PM
  • Good to hear :-)
    Friday, February 8, 2019 2:09 PM
  • Hi priti,

I am glad that you have fixed your issue.

Thanks for your sharing!

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:17 AM