none
Windows vista enterprise to windows vista business RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have windows vista enterprise edition installed by default in my laptop(i dono y lenovo did this) which doesnt have valid product key, but the laptop comes with a valid proper windows vista business product key pasted at the back of my laptop,

now i want to convert vista enterprise to windows vista business

what i understood is no downgrade is possible for this scenario.... (if there is one please let me know)

i want to uninstall enterprise and reinstall business ---> what should i do now?

if i put the business cd and give the product key of business will it overwrite enterprise?

thanks and Regards,

Jey

Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Jey,

OEM downgrade rights for desktop PC operating systems apply to Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate as stated in the Licence Terms. Please note, OEM downgrade versions of Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate are limited to Windows XP Professional (including Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and Windows XP x64 Edition). End users can use the following media for their downgrade: Volume Licensing media (provided the end user has a Volume Licensing agreement), retail (FPP), or system builder hologram CD (provided the software is acquired in accordance with the Microsoft OEM System Builder Licence). Use of the downgraded operating system is governed by the Windows Vista Business Licence Terms, and the end user cannot use both the downgrade operating system and Windows Vista Business. There are no downgrade rights granted for Windows Vista Home Basic or Windows Vista Home Premium.

Downgrade rights in the Volume Licensing programmes provide customers with the right to downgrade to any prior version of the same product. Windows Vista Enterprise is a new type of product and does not have a prior version. However, customers licensed for use of Windows Vista Enterprise are licensed for Windows Vista Business.

It seems that you can activate Windows Enterprise with the license for Windows Vista Business.

For more information, it is suggested to contact Lenovo for direct assistance. Your understanding is appreciated.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, August 23, 2010 9:59 AM