none
Decimal number in summary task RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In Project Professional I see some of the summary tasks have duration in decimal though all its subtasks duration are whole numbers.

What are the possible causes of having decimal in the summary task in MS Project?

K.Gokulraj

Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

change your date format to display date and time (File - Options - General). I assume, that some subtasks do not start (and finish) at default time. Duration of summary task ist not total of duration of sub tasks, but duration between earliest start and latest finish of them.

Does that help?
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:22 AM
  • K.Gokulraj --

The Duration of a summary task is a calculated value that is not merely the sum of the Duration values of its subtasks.  The Duration of a summary task is measured from the Start date of the earliest starting subtask to the Finish date of the lastest finishing subtask.  With this in mind, I would recommend you follow Barbara's excellent advice and look at the dates AND times of each subtask to determine why you see decimals in the Duration values of summary tasks.  Hope this additional information helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, February 19, 2015 2:27 PM