none
How to explore data partitions on Hyper-V Server using Server Manager from a client machine?

Question

• I have Hyper-V Standalone Server 2016 installed on a machine that has 3 hard disks and I have RSAT installed on my Windows 10 machine. Now I need to move around some files (i.e. copying vhdx files) between the data partitions on the Hyper-V machine.

So, how can I explore different hard disk partitions on the Hyper-V machine using Server Manager from my Windows 10 machine?

Saturday, February 25, 2017 6:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Why would you use Server Manager for that? Open File Explorer on your Windows 10 computer and map up hard drivers or type in \\servername or ip address\C$ for C: or if you would explore D: or any other drive just change letter at the end. File and print sharing should be enabled. 

If you are not sure which volume letter you have on Hyper-V just run diskpart command on hyper-v and type in list volume

or you can do it from your windows 10 machine with Enter-PSSession command to login to Hyper-V server via powershell

• Edited by Nedim Mehic Saturday, February 25, 2017 9:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Atiyar Friday, March 3, 2017 2:38 PM
    Saturday, February 25, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Hi,

Run this command on Hyper-V server and VMs

netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes

After try to explore hyper-v volume from client machine with IP \\hv ip address\C$

• Edited by Nedim Mehic Sunday, February 26, 2017 11:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Atiyar Friday, March 3, 2017 2:38 PM
    Sunday, February 26, 2017 10:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Why would you use Server Manager for that? Open File Explorer on your Windows 10 computer and map up hard drivers or type in \\servername or ip address\C$ for C: or if you would explore D: or any other drive just change letter at the end. File and print sharing should be enabled. 

If you are not sure which volume letter you have on Hyper-V just run diskpart command on hyper-v and type in list volume

or you can do it from your windows 10 machine with Enter-PSSession command to login to Hyper-V server via powershell

Hi,

Thanks for your response. These machines are not in a domain configuration. Does \\ServerName\DirectoryName$ work in workgroup configuration?

EDIT: In fact, \\ServerName\DirectoryName$ gives me an "Access is denied". I can access remote machine's directories with \\ServerName\DirectoryName$ at my workplace where all machines are domain-joined. These machines machines are at my home, and I'm not planning to configure a domain environment.

• Edited by Atiyar Sunday, February 26, 2017 9:45 AM
    Sunday, February 26, 2017 8:52 AM
  • Hi,

If those machines are not domain joined than you need to use IP address insted of hostname, or you would need to add those machines in trusted hosts list. Be sure to enable file and printer sharing. 

One more question? Are those machines on the same subnet? 

1. Machines are on the same subnet.

2. Client machine's hosts file has an entry for the Hyper-V machine

3. Hyper-V machine is added to the TrustedHosts list of the client machine. I checked that out using "winrm get winrm/config/client"

4. How do I turn File and Printer Sharing On on the Hyper-V Server? But I've tested it turning File and Printer Sharing On on an installation of Windows Server 2016 (I kept all other configuration similar) and it doesn't work. "Access is denied".

• Edited by Atiyar Sunday, February 26, 2017 10:23 AM
    Sunday, February 26, 2017 10:18 AM
  • Hi,

Run this command on Hyper-V server and VMs

netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes

After try to explore hyper-v volume from client machine with IP \\hv ip address\C$

Thanks a lot Nedim. I can now access the directories on Hyper-V server from my client after applying

on the Hyper-V server. But even though Remote Management was Enabled, I had to run "winrm quickconfig" on it. Thanks again.

Friday, March 3, 2017 2:38 PM