Disk partition RRS feed

• Question

• Somehow after going from Win 7 RC, through installing Win XP Pro, and then Win 7 upgrade today I don't have a drive letter for the biggest part of my hard drive?  The hard drive is showing C: as Healthy (system, boot, etc) 104.01 GB NTFS.  Then no drive letter but 811.57 GB Health primary partition. Last entry is 15.97 GB unallocated.  How do I move the 811 and 15 under C:?  Or if recommended, leave C: as it is, but assign a drive letter to the 811 (+ 15.97)?  The only option showing when I right click on the 811.57 GB partition is to delete.  The drive is a 1 TB hard drive.  Thanks
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 9:23 PM

Answers

• How do you partition your new hard drive when you upgrade to Win7?
    Do you have important files in the 811.57 GB partition?

As you just have the delete option while right click on the 811.57 GB partition in the Disk Management, you should be not able to assign a letter to this partition, You can try the following commands, please run the Cmd.exe as administrator first.

Diskpart
    list volume

select volume n

Note: Select the volume, where n is the volume's number which contains 811.57 GB space.

assign letter=D

Once you assign a letter to this partition, please test if you can open the partition via the Windows Explorer. If you still can't open it. It’s better to backup your files in this partition to external hard drive in the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE), you can access WinRE via pressing F8 while booting, choose Repair Your Computer. Then you can choose “Command Prompt”. Then you can try the following command to backup your files.

XCOPY {Old file location} {New file location} /E

Note: It’s better to connect a external hard drive to backup your files.

For example, if I want to backup the files from D:\ to F:\Backup, I can type the following command.

XCOPY D:\ F:\Backup /E

Note: When the "(F=file, D=directory)?)" message is received, please press “D” on the keyboard to continue the copy.

After that, you can resize hard drive referring to the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Create-and-format-a-hard-disk-partition

Hope this helps.

John
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:02 AM
    Monday, March 1, 2010 9:00 AM