how to export SharePoint subsite that weighs 14gb? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a sharepoint subsite that I need to export and move it to another database. The current site collection it resides in is around 100gb and I fear that at some point the thing will crash. However, everytime I export the site stsadm will not create *.cmp file or *.bak file. It just creates a folder with the file name with the file extension. I tried it on my development enviroment and it works with sites less than 1024mb of size. I read there is a "-cabsize" switch in SharePoint to increase the file size but it only allows upto 1024mb. Any help to work around this would be greatly appreciated.

-Hugo Ornelas www.bpits.com

Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:44 PM

All replies

• The -cabsize parameter of the Export stsadm operation is used to split the site into multiple CAB files with a maximum size of the value specified. This is to facilitate moving the files when the network connection is not good (that's the technical definition). More files decreases the chances that you'll have to restart a very large file copy process. Using the maximum cabfile size of 1024 MB (1 GB), you would expect approximately 14-16 CAB files for your 15 GB site site.

15 GB/hour is the metric I use to estimate how long a site collection backup will take. Since a site export is not a site collection backup you may see different results though I would expect exporting a site of this size to take a while. Is stsadm returning ("Operation completed successfully")? Is it erroring out or are you closing the cmd window because it's "hung"?

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:52 AM
  • it is actually saying "completed successfully" but I noticed on my DEV environment it actually says "1 file created" and then the name of the file. When I try the production it does not say that it created a file.

-Hugo Ornelas www.bpits.com

Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:49 AM