none
Standard task sequence questions RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently tried the toolkit for windows 10 and I am enjoying it so far, I have created a clean install task sequence using the standard client template and I am wondering if is it possible to get sysprep to generalize the installation at the end of the task sequence.

I want a simple way of doing it, I am not a PowerShell familiar person. I just want to create a solution to restore my systems from scratch. each system I have has had windows 10 upgrade on it so clean installing windows 10 is not an issue.

As a side question is there a method for the applications that tells mdt to wait until an application is installed before it starts the next application install, just curious on this one.

Cheers in advance

Friday, August 21, 2015 6:04 PM

Answers

• This is how to do reference images:

http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/357/Building-reference-images-like-a-boss

As far as MDT goes most applications should wait until the application is installed.  Can you give me an example application and the command line you are using for that app?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Ben Ramsay Saturday, August 22, 2015 10:38 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2015 7:51 PM
  • By default MDT will not move on to the next task until the current one finishes. There are some exceptions but it's hard to answer without specifics on what application you are trying to install that MDT isn't waiting for it to finish.

This will help you out - http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/357/Building-reference-images-like-a-boss

If you follow the Microsoft guide and create for yourself a separate deployment share for building reference images, you can configure that deployment share to capture your image and automate the majority of it so it's all done in one single task sequence.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Marked as answer by Ben Ramsay Monday, August 24, 2015 4:02 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2015 8:12 PM
  • MDT uses the "Built-In" Administrator account to deploy, you have to stick to that but you can assign a password when you run the wizard to create your task sequence.

You must Sysprep your image if you intend to deploy it. MDT has a task sequence that can sysprep and capture.

MDT will not run the driver installation apps, it uses PnP detection and adds (injects) the drivers into a folder that Windows uses when it first boots. If you have drivers that must be installed using an installer, then you'll need to make an application package in MDT and add that to your task sequence.

• Marked as answer by Ben Ramsay Monday, August 24, 2015 3:57 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2015 1:23 PM

All replies

• This is how to do reference images:

http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/357/Building-reference-images-like-a-boss

As far as MDT goes most applications should wait until the application is installed.  Can you give me an example application and the command line you are using for that app?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Ben Ramsay Saturday, August 22, 2015 10:38 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2015 7:51 PM
  • By default MDT will not move on to the next task until the current one finishes. There are some exceptions but it's hard to answer without specifics on what application you are trying to install that MDT isn't waiting for it to finish.

This will help you out - http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/357/Building-reference-images-like-a-boss

If you follow the Microsoft guide and create for yourself a separate deployment share for building reference images, you can configure that deployment share to capture your image and automate the majority of it so it's all done in one single task sequence.

• Marked as answer by Ben Ramsay Monday, August 24, 2015 4:02 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2015 8:12 PM
  • Next question is can I define a admin user, I would like to sign in using my own credentials not the built in admin account.

This would be great, else I will have to sysprep generalize to begin using it.

As for drivers, I have downloaded the drivers from the manufacturer if I extract them, will MDT use them as installable drivers.

Saturday, August 22, 2015 10:45 AM
  • MDT uses the "Built-In" Administrator account to deploy, you have to stick to that but you can assign a password when you run the wizard to create your task sequence.

You must Sysprep your image if you intend to deploy it. MDT has a task sequence that can sysprep and capture.

MDT will not run the driver installation apps, it uses PnP detection and adds (injects) the drivers into a folder that Windows uses when it first boots. If you have drivers that must be installed using an installer, then you'll need to make an application package in MDT and add that to your task sequence.

• Marked as answer by Ben Ramsay Monday, August 24, 2015 3:57 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2015 1:23 PM