Issues with Hard Disc(IDE) RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Windows Vista RC1(32 bit) on friday and I've been having alot of issues, most of which I resolved myself. But I keep having issues with my Hard Disc.

First off it will help more if I list my pc components.

Mother Board: Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9

CPU: AMD 3200+ 64bit (Single Core)

RAM:  1Gb DDR(400) in two strips

Video: Ati x850 (AGP 8X)

HDD: Seagate ST3160023A (7200.7 160GB)

This setup ran great in Windows XP Pro (64bit). But after the initial driver install I began realizing there was a hard drive issue. I had no problem moving my small driver files and application from my laptop till I tried to move a larger file (~400MB) and the transfer kept timing out, at first I thought it was a nic card issue, till I ran a test download from the internet and it worked fine. It wasn't till I saw a message in proccess log of my dvd burning application that I understood that it was my hard disc. As the only application open, I recieved a message that the software was waiting for the hard disc threshold.

Any time I attempt to move a sizeable file from a diffrent drive I get this issue and Windows will freeze up for about 10~30 seconds a few times even 60+. This Hard disc had no issues a week before with internal to internal hdd transfers while downloading Vista Rc1 at 600KB/s as a backed up information, and now it barely supports lan transfer (which averaged about 1MB/s and bounced between 0 and 2MB/s before it timed out).

And as a last note I have run diagnosic tools on it, and they have found no issues.

My only guess left it this is some how incorperated with the os.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give. I love the Aero theme and would like to continue using it.

Monday, October 2, 2006 7:44 AM