No Sound with Windows Vista Business unless I use first test call in Skype - conflict? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I think there is a conflict with Skype and Windows Vista Business in relation to Sound. Basically, when Skype is installed I can only activate sound (including youtube videos, and normal Windows sounds) when I first play the sound test on Skype. When I uninstalled Skype and rebooted seems to have disappeared, although I am not 100% convinced as I still had an instance where I had no sound even after Skype was uninstalled. However that is just one instance compared to when Skype is installed it is every time.

I didn't have this issue prior to early October and during this time there were several Windows updates on the 13th. Funny, the computer seems to have slowed down since then too. There were 29 updates for Microsoft Office 2007, 1 update for Microsoft Outlook, and 5 Microsoft Windows security updates. I tried uninstalling the 5 Microsoft Windows Security Updates whilst Skype was still installed, but the sound problem was still evident.

Drivers on the sound devices installed are all up to date.

Can you help me to understand what is causing the problem and how I might fix it. To help with the solution here are some details of what I have installed.

Sound devices installed: Realtek High Definition Audio (2007), and Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device (1999).

Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First, what about to perform a system restore to the point which the issue not occurs?

If the issue persists, please refer to the following link to troubleshoot:

No sound in Windows

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, November 7, 2011 5:32 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 6:12 AM