Outlook 2019 - shared Mailbox - Send on Behalf permission not being applied RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have some issues with our Outlook 2019(Online mode).

If we configure a shared mailbox on our Outlook 2019 while adding the shared mailbox email and password of the user that has full access and send on behalf of permission then this user cannot send any emails. Always getting the error message that the user does not have the send on behalf permission.

Why is that? I checked our Exchange 2013 and the user has Full Access and Send on behalf permission active. But still it does not work.

If the user configures an Outlook profile with his mailbox then he sees the shared mailbox and he can send from that shared mailbox without problem. And we can see "send on behalf of %USER". How come when we try to just add Outlook profile using only the shared mailbox the user does not have the permission?

In OWA it works fine too. So I am not sure what is going on her.

I even removed all permission and added them again, same problem. When I give user the "Send As" permission than it works fine too, but that we do not want.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, August 8, 2019 12:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, this is by design that you will receive this error message if you configure a profile only for the shared mailbox.

In this configuration, Exchange Server requires Send As permissions to send the email message. If you don't have Send As permissions for the shared mailbox, Outlook can't send the message.

This issue was recorded in this official article.

If you don’t want to assign extra “Send As” permission, users can use the shared account as an additional mailbox in the same profile.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, August 12, 2019 8:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by GoDzillaACW Friday, August 16, 2019 6:21 AM
    Friday, August 9, 2019 2:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, this is by design that you will receive this error message if you configure a profile only for the shared mailbox.

In this configuration, Exchange Server requires Send As permissions to send the email message. If you don't have Send As permissions for the shared mailbox, Outlook can't send the message.

This issue was recorded in this official article.

If you don’t want to assign extra “Send As” permission, users can use the shared account as an additional mailbox in the same profile.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, August 12, 2019 8:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by GoDzillaACW Friday, August 16, 2019 6:21 AM
    Friday, August 9, 2019 2:17 AM
  • I'm wondering if the information answered your question.

If yes, it's recommended to mark it as answer. If you have more concern, please feel free to tell us.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:12 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the information. Then the only why to active the Send on Behalf on Outlook is to just connect to their mailbox instead and then choose in the From field the shared mailbox.

Have a nice day

Friday, August 16, 2019 6:24 AM