none
Resource Name Change - Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently changed a resource's name in Project Server. The name listed previously in Project Server was the person's formal name, but I changed it to their nickname. I did not delete & readd the resource; I just changed the existing resource. When I did this, the PM on a project reported that this person was now listed twice on the Project Team and any work assigned to her "old" name was not showing up for the user. But tasks assigned to her on the newly changed name were showing up.

I've tried to recreate this scenario in my test environment but cannot. When I do the name change & then go into the project, I get a message saying that the resources are out of sync. It gives an option to do a sync now or one will be done later when a save occurs. Either way I go, the resoruce is upated properly & I only see one resource listed in the project team.

Any idea how this could have happened? Did I do somethign wrong in the production environment? Below is a screen shot showing how the same resource is listed twice in the Project Team. This is the same resource just with the before & after name listed out. Any insight would be appreciated. We are not using AD.

• Edited by StacyLo Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:13 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:11 PM

Answers

• I hate to say it, but it could be user error?  Are you sure they're both enterprise resources?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

• Marked as answer by StacyLo Friday, September 21, 2012 2:06 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:01 PM

All replies

• I hate to say it, but it could be user error?  Are you sure they're both enterprise resources?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

• Marked as answer by StacyLo Friday, September 21, 2012 2:06 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:01 PM
  • Good idea to check to see if they are both enterprise resources. I opened the schedule in Project Pro 2010 & one of them is a local resource. I need to advise the PM to only add resources from the Enterprise pool. Mystery solved. Thanks!

BTW - I've been reading your white paper 'Portfolio Analysis with Microsoft Project Server 2010 A Guide for the Business User' this week. It has been very helpful. I met with our Chief Strategy Officer yesterday and shared some of your advice on business drivers. It seems difficult to create specific, measureable drivers. But I shared your advice with him on creating these & he is going to revise his current drivers to make them more specific. Thanks!

Friday, September 21, 2012 1:44 PM