none
DHCP RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

We have a Windows 2008 domain controller and running DNS, DHCP services. We got flat /21 network with one subnet no vlans. I am getting too many BAD_Address and running out DHCP addresses too soon.

Can anyone help?

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:11 AM

Answers

• How many dynamic IP client do you have on your network? with /21 net you should be able to accommodate up to 2k hosts.

BAD_ADDRESS may indicate that there are clients that use static IPs. Make sure you exclude static IP ranges from the scope, and check that all clients that are supposed to use DHCP are actually configured to do so.

You can also reduce lease duration to speed up release of IPs from clients that leave the network ungracefully.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:37 AM
  • Hi,

I have excluded the static IP range for distribution from the DHCP. If BAD_ADDRESS may indicate that there are clients that use static IPs than how do I trace it?

I cant get anything when I ran the nslookup.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Ms-2010 Monday, February 15, 2016 10:08 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 12:16 PM
  • Hi,

>>If BAD_ADDRESS may indicate that there are clients that use static IPs than how do I trace it?

Please try to perform a network capture on the DHCP server.

Then please check if there is any DHCP Decline message.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 3:30 PM
  • Can you please advise any free good software for the network capture on the DHCP server?
    • Marked as answer by Ms-2010 Monday, February 15, 2016 10:07 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:21 PM
  • Hi,

To download network monitor, please click the link below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 1:03 AM

All replies

• How many dynamic IP client do you have on your network? with /21 net you should be able to accommodate up to 2k hosts.

BAD_ADDRESS may indicate that there are clients that use static IPs. Make sure you exclude static IP ranges from the scope, and check that all clients that are supposed to use DHCP are actually configured to do so.

You can also reduce lease duration to speed up release of IPs from clients that leave the network ungracefully.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:37 AM
  • Hi,

I have excluded the static IP range for distribution from the DHCP. If BAD_ADDRESS may indicate that there are clients that use static IPs than how do I trace it?

I cant get anything when I ran the nslookup.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Ms-2010 Monday, February 15, 2016 10:08 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 12:16 PM
  • Hi,

>>If BAD_ADDRESS may indicate that there are clients that use static IPs than how do I trace it?

Please try to perform a network capture on the DHCP server.

Then please check if there is any DHCP Decline message.

Best Regards.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 3:30 PM
  • Can you please advise any free good software for the network capture on the DHCP server?
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:21 PM
  • Hi,

To download network monitor, please click the link below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Best Regards.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 1:03 AM