vista randomly locks up RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a Dell inspiron 1520 with two gigs of ram and a 2.2 dual core couple months ago with vista home premium and it work fine, but for some reason lately,  after it boots up, the ram fills up when i haven't done anything yet. It still works when i use it, but it lags alot and locks up alot. I can't find a reason for what it taking up the ram, its not the anti virus and it does it before i start any programs.
    Saturday, December 8, 2007 5:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From your description I understand you recently encountered a poor performance issue in your Windows Vista computer that the RAM is running abnormally high when loading system.

This kind of issue may be possibly caused by 3rd party programs conflicts with Windows Vista system or it is infected by virus or spyware. Let's follow the steps below to resolve it:

Please go into Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs. Perform the following steps to go to Safe Mode to see if this issue occurs again.

-----------------------------------------

1. Reboot the computer.

2. When the Starting Windows screen shows, press F8.

3. Select Safe Mode and press Enter.

4. Log on as Administrator.

5. Does this issue occur in Safe Mode?

(NOTE: Safe Mode loads the minimum number of required basic device drivers and system services to start the system. Programs located in the Startup Program group are not started.  So this will be very helpful for us to narrow down the root cause.)

If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode and only occurs in Normal Mode, then we can try a "Clean Boot" to narrow down the cause and troubleshoot it:

Clean boot

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

For more information about this step, please refer to the following KB article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com//kb/929135

However,  if issue persists after "Clean Boot", please help me to collect the system information file so that I can perform further research. Please send the these files to WCVDATA@microsoft.com .   

Collecting System Information

============

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Send the compressed file to us at: WCVDATA@microsoft.com .

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body

Post Title: Vista randomly locks up 

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?postid=2524903&siteid=17

Robbin Meng – MSFT

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From your description I understand you recently encountered a poor performance issue in your Windows Vista computer that the RAM is running abnormally high when loading system.

This kind of issue may be possibly caused by 3rd party programs conflicts with Windows Vista system or it is infected by virus or spyware. Let's follow the steps below to resolve it:

Please go into Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs. Perform the following steps to go to Safe Mode to see if this issue occurs again.

1. Reboot the computer.

2. When the Starting Windows screen shows, press F8.

3. Select Safe Mode and press Enter.

4. Log on as Administrator.

5. Does this issue occur in Safe Mode?

(NOTE: Safe Mode loads the minimum number of required basic device drivers and system services to start the system. Programs located in the Startup Program group are not started.  So this will be very helpful for us to narrow down the root cause.)

If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode and only occurs in Normal Mode, then we can try a "Clean Boot" to narrow down the cause and troubleshoot it:

Clean boot

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

For more information about this step, please refer to the following KB article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com//kb/929135

However,  if issue persists after "Clean Boot", please help me to collect the system information file so that I can perform further research. Please send the these files to WCVDATA@microsoft.com .   

Collecting System Information

============

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Send the compressed file to us at: WCVDATA@microsoft.com .

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body

Post Title: Vista randomly locks up 

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?postid=2524903&siteid=17

Robbin Meng – MSFT

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Friday, December 14, 2007 2:42 AM