Windows Update searches forever RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed a NEW windows XP Pro on a NEW system.  Everything is fine except when I run windows update automatically or manually, it searches forever.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:53 PM

Answers

• Click Start > Run, type services.msc, and then click
      OK
    • Right-click the Automatic Updates service, and then click Stop
    • Click Start > Run, type cmd, and then click OK
    • Type cd %windir%, and then press [Enter]
    • Type ren SoftwareDistribution SDTemp, and then press [Enter]
    • Type exit, and then press [Enter]
    • In services.msc, Right-click the Automatic Updates service,
      and then click Start

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:49 AM
  • ... I just installed a NEW windows XP Pro on a NEW system.  Everything is fine except when I run windows update automatically or manually, it searches forever...

Hi,

I have just created a Windows XP Pro Virtual machine on a Windows 7 system.

Yes, you are correct. The Windows update seems to search forever. It takes close to 2 hours before the Windows Update refresh the list. It looks like it will take several more hours to download and install the 126 updates... 

Perhaps you may wish to start the Windows Update 2-3 hours prior to bedtime, and start the download and let it update overnight.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, 

Tas Chew

Sunday, October 27, 2013 11:54 AM
  • I just installed a NEW windows XP Pro on a NEW system.  Everything is fine except when I run windows update automatically or manually, it searches forever.
    http://hardcore-games.azurewebsites.net/wp/fixwinupdate.php

Corsair Carbide 300R with window
    Corsair TX850V2 12V1 70A
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 x64 Professional
    LG WH14NS40 14X Blu-Ray Writer BDXL 128GB
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:08 PM

All replies

• What does Windows update log file say?

Is it updating via SCCM/WSUS or directly via Internet?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:04 PM
  • I am updating via the internet.

The last 4 lines in the log file are:

Misc ===========  Logging initialized (build: 7.6.7600.256, tz: -0400)  ===========
    Misc   = Process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    Misc   = Module: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll

DtaStor WARNING: Attempted to add URL htt
    p://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/svpk/2009/05/2723074_92cee4ae7516c5fdcbded83a9d154597dd84d219.cab for file ks7krnUWxf3L3tg6nRVFl92E0hk= when file has not been previously added to the datastore

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:02 PM
    • Click Start > Run, type services.msc, and then click
      OK
    • Right-click the Automatic Updates service, and then click Stop
    • Click Start > Run, type cmd, and then click OK
    • Type cd %windir%, and then press [Enter]
    • Type ren SoftwareDistribution SDTemp, and then press [Enter]
    • Type exit, and then press [Enter]
    • In services.msc, Right-click the Automatic Updates service,
      and then click Start

Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:49 AM
  • Thank you for your reply!  I performed the steps and I still can not update.  After two hours I had to CTL-ALT-DEL to close the update window.  These are the last few lines of my log file now.  (I had to break up a few links to allow posting)

PT   + ServiceId = {9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}, Server URL = h ttps://update.microsoft.com/v6/ClientWebService/client.asmx
    Misc Validating signature for C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\muv4wuredir.cab:
    Misc  Microsoft signed: Yes
    Misc Validating signature for C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\muv4wuredir.cab:
    Misc  Microsoft signed: Yes
    PT +++++++++++  PT: Synchronizing extended update info  +++++++++++
    PT   + ServiceId = {9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}, Server URL = htt ps://update.microsoft.com/v6/ClientWebService/client.asmx
    DtaStor WARNING: Attempted to add URL htt p://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/svpk/2009/05/2723074_92cee4ae7516c5fdcbded83a9d154597dd84d219.cab for file ks7krnUWxf3L3tg6nRVFl92E0hk= when file has not been previously added to the datastore
    COMAPI -------------
    COMAPI -- START --  COMAPI: Search [ClientId = WindowsUpdate]
    COMAPI ---------
    COMAPI <<-- SUBMITTED -- COMAPI: Search [ClientId = WindowsUpdate]

Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:59 PM
  • Can you post the KB for this patch? Which the system is trying to download?

Friday, October 25, 2013 4:29 AM
  • ... I just installed a NEW windows XP Pro on a NEW system.  Everything is fine except when I run windows update automatically or manually, it searches forever...

Hi,

I have just created a Windows XP Pro Virtual machine on a Windows 7 system.

Yes, you are correct. The Windows update seems to search forever. It takes close to 2 hours before the Windows Update refresh the list. It looks like it will take several more hours to download and install the 126 updates... 

Perhaps you may wish to start the Windows Update 2-3 hours prior to bedtime, and start the download and let it update overnight.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, 

Tas Chew

Sunday, October 27, 2013 11:54 AM
  • OK, I ran the update overnight.  It took over 15 hours to respond with just the update list!  Now I am installing the updates.  At this rate it will be a week to update!  Currently it has hung up for 3 hours on the ironically named, "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification" update...  So is Microsoft purposely throttling back bandwidth on the XP updates?  I understand the push for Windows 8 but this is ridiculous.  These XP updates have been getting longer recently, but this is unbelievable.  Even the 2 hours you mentioned is beyond reason (even for a virtual machine), just to produce an update list. 
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:40 PM
  • OK just to follow up.  The rest of the updates completed quickly after the 3 hour "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification" update.  I rebooted and ran the update again.  23 more needed but it took all of 5 minutes to produce the list.  So I guess I am good.  Weird eh?  Thanks for your help.
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:04 PM