Speed up initial login time RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a problem in my domain environment with Windows 8 computers. Initial login time for new users is much longer than in Windows XP.

default profile size
    new profile size
    creation time of new profile
    Windows XP
    1,05 MB
    ~6 MB
    ~10 sec.
    Windows 8
    1,36 MB
    ~70 MB
    ~200 sec.

How can I speed up first login time? People in my enviornment very often change their computers and need to login very fast using their own login credentials. They also don't store any private data, workstations are only clients to server applications. I'm not using roaming profiles.

I've noticed that a lot of space is taken by the files in these directories:

C:\Users\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache
    WebCacheV01.dat [32 MB]
    C:\Users\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer [13 MB]
    C:\Users\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\metastore [10 MB]

Is the creation of these files so time-consuming?

• Edited by Mikoday Friday, September 20, 2013 2:34 PM
    • Changed type Niki Han Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:52 AM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 2:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows initial setup is necessary, we have no method to speed up this process. May be replacing HDD with SDD can speed up this process.

If you need further assistance on this particular issue or any other Windows related issue, let us know and we will be glad to assist you.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 23, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for an answer. I'm just wondering why it was much faster in XP era.

Can you tell me what Windows is doing during "Preparing Windows" message?

Maybe if I customize the default user profile in such a way that some files will be already created in it switch to mandatory profiles the first login time will be faster?

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:28 PM
  • is that an answer? NO... Windows 8.1 is useless in school environments. How hard can it be to create a fast login experience? This is always been slow since Vista but now it's even slower... "Preparing Windows" if there is no local profile yet (which is always the case when using roaming profiles in a large computer environment where users constantly change computers). Also what exactly is Windows doing? Because you can ctrl alt del out of it. Also sometimes a black desktop opens... Eventually icons appear. Please MS... do you even test roaming profiles yourself as they are intended?

• Edited by Rinzzz Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:55 PM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:54 PM
  • is that an answer? NO... Windows 8.1 is useless in school environments. How hard can it be to create a fast login experience? This is always been slow since Vista but now it's even slower... "Preparing Windows" if there is no local profile yet (which is always the case when using roaming profiles in a large computer environment where users constantly change computers). Also what exactly is Windows doing? Because you can ctrl alt del out of it. Also sometimes a black desktop opens... Eventually icons appear. Please MS... do you even test roaming profiles yourself as they are intended?

We have used roaming profiles for years with no issues when set up correctly.  The logon times after the first logon are about 2 to 3 seconds.

Learning the basics of Windows networking and how to set up and correctly administer Windows in a domain is critical. Those who refuse to do the learning always end up complaining about how Windows doesn't work.  They fail to see how it uncovers their lack of training.

Oh - yes.  On a brand new profile(never logged in before), if you remote to it it will show a black desktop.  Logoff and on and the desktop will return to the default.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, March 28, 2014 3:34 PM