none
DPM 2016, Server 2016 Cluster - Selected recovery elment is a VHD and not the virtual machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hello technet,

Our environment is the following

• DPM Server

Server 2012 R2

DPM 2016 - 5.0.342.0

• Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V Cluster using S2D
    • VMM 2016 - 4.0.2244.0

I'm attempting to test backup and restore of a VM on the cluster.  When I back up the VM I select it from the Cluster resource in DPM, and choose the RCT\VM option.  

During recovery, I get the notification that the 'selected recovery element is a VHD and not the VM.'  

Their documentation lists Server 2016 S2D clusters as being able to restore VMs directly.  Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Support documentation shows more options than I have available.  Ideally I would recover to original instance or to any VM host.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757981%28v=sc.12%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Thursday, May 3, 2018 6:48 PM

Answers

• Hello Andragoras,

You've done everything correct. If you would like to restore the whole VM select All Protected HyperV Data then select the VM name in path window. 

Hope this helps. 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Marked as answer by Andragoras Friday, May 4, 2018 7:11 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2018 9:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Andragoras,

Backup a VM

To backup the VMs, select the VM under the cluster and not the C:\ to backup the VMs.

If the VM is configured as highly available on the cluster then it will appear under the cluster virtual name else it will appear under a specific cluster node.

You can backup any folder from C:\ but should not use this mechanism to backup the cluster mount points like C:\ClusterStorage\VolumeX.

Recover a VM

See the following steps on how to recover the VM. 

1. Start the DPM console, and select the Recovery tab.
    2. In the Browse tab, expand the Recoverable data.
    3. Click All Protected HyperV Data, and select the VM that you want to recover by selecting the Backup Using Child Partition/VMName.
    4. Now right click on the VM and and recover the entire VM with all its settings onto an alternate server.

Kind regards,
    Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:29 PM
  • Hi Leon,

Yes, these are highly available VMs on an S2D cluster, using VMM 2016.

I am selecting the resource from the cluster when protecting it, I don't get an option to restore the VM however.  Attached are what I see when selecting a VM for back up and when I attempt a restore.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:52 PM
  • Hi Andragoras,

Ok, when you added the VMs to the backup how did you do it?

Make sure you select everything like below:

Kind regards,
    Leon

Thursday, May 3, 2018 9:03 PM
  • Interesting, I don't see the Online\VM, which is probably a hint at the problem.  All hosts have the DPM and VMM agent, any idea why I would be missing the Online prefix?
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 9:05 PM
  • You could try hitting the Refresh button once you add a VM to the backup to see if you'll get more objects to show.

Kind regards,
    Leon

Thursday, May 3, 2018 9:12 PM
  • Hello Andragoras,

You've done everything correct. If you would like to restore the whole VM select All Protected HyperV Data then select the VM name in path window. 

Hope this helps. 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Marked as answer by Andragoras Friday, May 4, 2018 7:11 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2018 9:40 AM
  • Hi Matej,

Thanks, it was my interpretation of the GUI.  Selecting All Protected HyperV Data and then the VM on the right gives me the correct recovery options.  I appreciate your response!

Friday, May 4, 2018 7:11 PM