none
outlook 2010 adding wrong users permissions when creating a new folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an issue with outlook 2010. when my customer creates a new folder in an additional mailbox he gets the little green hand to indicate that it is shared. when looking at the permissions in properties of the folder he has anonymous, default, and the logon username, where the logon username is owner with full permissions and the other two are set to none with nothing enabled.

this is when creating a folder by right clicking on the inbox of the additional mailbox he wants to create it in. he has several mailbox's all of which are completely unique in their own OST files.

each mailbox is in the same exchange 2010 mail store and the main account has send as and full access to the additional mailboxes.

I can get rid of the little hand on the folder, but he would like to not have to remove the permission manually.

we are drawing a blank on what could be causing this, any help would be very much appreciated.

thanks

matt

Monday, August 5, 2013 2:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I recommend you logon to OWA to check the result.

If the symptom still persists, I recommend you use the Get-MailboxFolderPermission cmdlet to view the folder-level permissions for the folder.

If you have any other issue, please free let me know.

Best regards,
    Belinda

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:20 AM
  • Hi,

I have tested in OWA but I don't believe this is a fix for the issue. when I created the folder on OWA, it didn't appear to have any sharing hand but I cant look at properties, and I am awaiting a response from him about that.

The issue occurs when in his outlook, when creating a folder in a mailbox that is not the primary, it grants ownership permissions to the primary mailbox even though at the top level of that mailbox there are only permissions for Anonymous and default. it adds in the primary mailbox User as Owner and I need to know how to stop it and where I should be looking i.e. workstation or server..

thanks

Matt

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:18 PM
  • Hello,

Based on your problem description, I have tested on my own computer.

Here is a description of my test:

There are two outlook clients which are A and B. A shares mailbox with B and grants the owner permisson to B. B adds A mailbox as an additional mailbox and creates a new folder in it. Then A gets the green tow-headed arrow to indicate that the folder is shared while it doesn't appear in B.

If I have misunderstood your concern, please let me know.

If this is the issue you encountered, then I am sorry to tell you it cannot be removed automatically.

Best regards,
    Belinda

• Edited by bululu Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:35 AM
  • Yes Outlook Client A has full access and send as permissions to client B's mailbox that is set in the exchange console(this is not being set up as a delegate by the user). Client A has an additional account configured under their profile for Client B (this is so that the mailboxes are completely separate and both have different inboxes, sent items etc. all contained in their own .OST file) When Client A creates a new folder in Client B's mailbox, client B will get the little green sharing hand. It appears that when creating the folder in client B's mailbox as client A, Outlook appears to be auto populating permissions for client A to this folder. How do I go about turning this off so the folder is not shared automatically?

thanks

matt

Friday, August 9, 2013 11:49 AM