multiple versions of same application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

If I have an application App1 with assembly version 1.0.0.0 deployed on a Biztalk server, can I deploy App2 which is essentially same as App1 but is version 1.1.0.0 and minimal changes in it? So the application contains the same resources in it with the nerwer version.

How do I force the App1 and App2 related orchestrations to process only the files received on their respective receive locations while the schema namespace and root are same?

How do we support such situations in production if we have to support both versions temporarily?

Thanks everyone for any help.

SRG

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:24 AM

Answers

• Assuming the receive locations also have different receive ports, you should be able to add a filter to activate the appropriate orchestration using BTS.ReceivePortName = "appropriate receive port".

If you are also having issues with schema versions, make sure you specify the fully qualified name in the appropriate pipeline, and you might want to create a new dedicated BizTalk application for the new assembly version.

David Downing... If this answers your question, please Mark as the Answer. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:18 AM

All replies

• Assuming the receive locations also have different receive ports, you should be able to add a filter to activate the appropriate orchestration using BTS.ReceivePortName = "appropriate receive port".

If you are also having issues with schema versions, make sure you specify the fully qualified name in the appropriate pipeline, and you might want to create a new dedicated BizTalk application for the new assembly version.

David Downing... If this answers your question, please Mark as the Answer. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:18 AM
  • if your schema namespace and root are same then only way i can see is filter on orchestrations receive port BTS.ReceivePortName = "appropriate receive port", as said by David.

Regards, Amit More

Friday, March 23, 2012 5:21 AM
  • If you are using XML receive pipeline and having same namespace and root node for multiple schema(as you want to use them twice) then pipeline will give you ambiguity error. I think the best way to know more about keeping multiple version of same application is the Checklist: Updating an Application Using Side-by-Side Versioning

Please mark the post answered your question as answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, it'll help other users who are visiting your thread for the similar problem, Regards -Rohit Sharma (http://rohitbiztalk.blogspot.com)

Friday, March 23, 2012 5:48 AM
  • I just have to add one thing, If you are using for instance the file adapter and are polling the same files with the same filemask from the same share for both applications this would not work. You need to at least have 2 different locations. At least if you plan to have two different apps doing the same thing just with different versions. You also need to make sure that none of the artifacts like receive locations, receive ports, orchestrations and send ports + groups have the same name.

The other aspects is well described by the others above me. :)

Best regards

Tord Glad Nordahl
    Bouvet ASA, Norway
    http://www.BizTalkAdmin.com |@tordeman

Please indicate ”Mark as Answer” if this post has answered the question.

Friday, March 23, 2012 8:22 AM
  • Amit, This is exactly the idea I woke up with this morning.I will try this.

thanks,

SRG

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:12 PM
  • +1c to David suggestion.

You can just do the binding. When you bind orchestration with port, this creates the subscription for Receive Port ID for this orchestration underhood. So you don't have to set up the subscription explicitly.

Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP] BizTalkien: Advanced Questions: have fun - test your knowledge

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:33 PM