Visual FoxPro 8 will not boot on PC with 3GB RAM and 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System RRS feed

• Question

• Upon executing vfp8.exe, the Visual FoxPro 8 splash screen appears  for about 1 second and then nothing on the desktop, except that the vfp8 icon shows in the Windows 7 taskbar.

I tried launching FoxPro 8 in Vista, Vista SP1, and Vista SP2 compatibility modes. Application still does not launch.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 12:22 AM

Answers

• Hi FHLamartin,

Great to hear that you upgrading to Visual FoxPro 9 Professional. You can check the compatibility of Visual FoxPro 9 professional with Windows 7 here

Thanks,
    Bineesh
    • Marked as answer by FHLamartin Friday, November 6, 2009 11:41 PM
    Friday, November 6, 2009 8:43 PM

All replies

• Hi FHLamartin,

I tried to install Visual FoxPro 8.0 in Windows 7 it is working fine for me.

Have you done Windows 7 fresh install or upgrade from Vista?

While installing Visual FoxPro 8.0 first option is to install Prerequisites. Have you installed this prerequisite?

Have you tried installing Visual FoxPro 8.0 Service Pack 1? If not you can download it from the following location and try to apply this service pack on Visual FoxPro 8.0

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=018705e6-df6a-4695-965e-459fe5a761f7&displaylang=en

Go through the readme file before installing this Service Pack.

I hope this helps you.

Thanks,
    Bineesh

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:29 PM
  • I upgraded from Vista. I also have upgraded from Vista on my notebook computer (64 bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium). That installation works OK.

I did not install prerequisites before installing FoxPro 8. I shall now first uninstall FoxPro, then install prerequisites, and then reinstall FoxPro.

Next, even though I had installed  Service Pack 1 earlier, I shall do so again.

In other words, I shall follow all your suggestions to eliminate them as possible causes of my problem.

I'll report the results.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Hi FHLamartin,

My first suggestion is to install the prerequisites for Visual FoxPro 8.0. As per my understanding you do not need to uninstall the Visual FoxPro. Try to run the setup again it will prompt window for installing the prerequisite. If not uninstall Visual FoxPro and install it again. If you uninstalling the Visual FoxPro then you should install the Service Pack, otherwise not.

Any way please report the results..

Thanks,
    Bineesh

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:02 PM
  • Hi N Bineesh,
    Here is what I did:  (1) uninstalled Visual FoxPro 8, (2) installed Visual FoxPro 8 prerequisites from the Visual FoxPro 8.0 Professional installation CD, (3) installed Visual FoxPro 8 from the CD, and (4) downloaded and installed the Visual FoxPro 8 Service Pack 1.

I am sorry to report that the problem continues:  The splash screen appears for 1 second, but no other screen is available. The Windows 7taskbar shows the Visual FoxPro icon, which has no function. The Windows 7 performance gadget shows 1/3 of the available 3GB of memory in use.

I hope you or someone else has further ideas!

Thanks,
    F.H. Lamartin
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:02 AM
  • Hi FHLamartin,

Did you able to run Visual FoxPro 8.0 in Windows Vista?

Thanks,
    Bineesh

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:09 PM
  • Hi N Bineesh,

Yes, without problem. I also have it running on a 64-bit version of Windows 7 on my notebook PC.

Thanks,
    F.H. Lamartin
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Hi FHLamartin,

Visual FoxPro 8.0 has few issues with Windows Vista and Windows 7. Microsoft strongly recommended upgrading to Visual FoxPro 9.0 SP1. Visual FoxPro 9.0 is fully compatible with Windows 7.

However I can able to run Visual FoxPro 8.0 on Windows 7 and its working fine for your 64 bit Windows 7 note book PC, You can try a Windows 7 fresh install.

I hope this helps you.
    Thanks,
    Bineesh

• Proposed as answer by Bineesh N Friday, November 6, 2009 8:53 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 5:33 PM
  • Hi N Bineesh,

Before I contacted the forum, I had trried a fresh install of Windows 7. After doing so, FoxPro 8 worked OK for about 5 minutes. I believe that then I minimized it. Thereafter, the application refuses to launch.

What next? Have I reached the end with Visual FoxPro 8 on this PC? Will any one, anywhere, be concerned about the apparent incompatibility? Might some future "fix" of Windows 7 remove the incompatibiity?

Thanks,
    F.H. Lamartin
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 11:21 PM
  • Hi N Bineesh,

Based on your earlier posting, I decided the time had come to abandon FoxPro 8. So, I ordered a Visual FoxPro 9 Professional CD and shall install it soon after it arrives. If I encounter difficulty with FoxPro 9 launching, I'll be back with a new thread.

Thanks for your time and efforts.
    F.H. Lamartin
    Friday, November 6, 2009 8:25 PM
  • Hi FHLamartin,

Great to hear that you upgrading to Visual FoxPro 9 Professional. You can check the compatibility of Visual FoxPro 9 professional with Windows 7 here

Thanks,
    Bineesh
    • Marked as answer by FHLamartin Friday, November 6, 2009 11:41 PM
    Friday, November 6, 2009 8:43 PM