dynamic excel graph in excel services using XML data source on the web? RRS feed

• Question

• In excel 2010 I can do a data > other source > from xml data import and get xml data from web address.

With it I can build a nice excel graph.

Can I upload that 2010 spreadsheet to excel services on my Moss 2007 Farm with excel services.. not compat issues?

Will the the data on that sheet in SharePoint be dynamic when my source xml data changes?

I suspect not, so how can I make my excel graph dynamic with XML data over the web?

Thank You!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks to share your post.

For the issue, the data on that sheet in SharePoint can be dynamic when the XML source changes. And the followed article should give the guidance:

http://zabistop.blogspot.com/2007/12/displaying-charts-in-sharepoint-using.html.

Hope this could help you!

Leo

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:35 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Hi JCNET,

Yes, I agree with Leoyi Sun

If you want to view the data by manually opening the Excel spread sheet from SharePoint document library, you have to configure the option Refresh data when opening the file under Data > Connection > Properties > Usage tab, then publish the excel file to document library, so that when every you open the Excel spread sheet from document library you can view the updated data.

Additionally, if you want to show the Excel spread sheet in an Excel Web Access (EWA) webpart you have to upload the Excel Spread sheet to SharePoint trusted location, then after try to configure EWA webpart to refer the Excel spread sheet.

If you want to programmatically refresh the Excel spread sheet data, please follow the How to: Refresh Data

For more information, please follow:

Ten Tips for Using SharePoint Server 2007 with Excel Services

Plan external data connections for Excel Services

Best Regards, G Vijai Kumar | My Sharepoint Blog
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks to share your post.

For the issue, the data on that sheet in SharePoint can be dynamic when the XML source changes. And the followed article should give the guidance:

http://zabistop.blogspot.com/2007/12/displaying-charts-in-sharepoint-using.html.

Hope this could help you!

Leo

Monday, May 23, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Hi JCNET,

Yes, I agree with Leoyi Sun

If you want to view the data by manually opening the Excel spread sheet from SharePoint document library, you have to configure the option Refresh data when opening the file under Data > Connection > Properties > Usage tab, then publish the excel file to document library, so that when every you open the Excel spread sheet from document library you can view the updated data.

Additionally, if you want to show the Excel spread sheet in an Excel Web Access (EWA) webpart you have to upload the Excel Spread sheet to SharePoint trusted location, then after try to configure EWA webpart to refer the Excel spread sheet.

If you want to programmatically refresh the Excel spread sheet data, please follow the How to: Refresh Data

For more information, please follow:

Ten Tips for Using SharePoint Server 2007 with Excel Services

Plan external data connections for Excel Services

Best Regards, G Vijai Kumar | My Sharepoint Blog
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:05 AM