none
Don't display last signed-in policy not working as expected RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having an issue with the Interactive Logon: Don't display last signed-in policy in Windows 10 1709. 

Currently, I have the following local policies enabled:

Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL -disabled

Interactive logon: Don't display last signed-in -enabled

Hide entry points for fast user Switching -enabled

All of my PCs are in a workgroup and of course, I am using all local accounts.  I have found if a user signs off the system, the username for that user does not appear as last logged in and I can enter a username in the username field, which I expect.  If a logged in user reboots the system instead of logging off, when the login screen comes up, the username is set in the log on window which indicates "Don't display last signed-in" is not working.  In addition, because I have fast user switching turned off, there is no "switch user" button available, which I need to have that policy enabled due to security requirements when users are logged in.  Below is a screenshot showing what I am seeing.

I know the "Don't display last signed-in policy" policy makes changes to the dontdisplaylastusername setting in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.  I have checked this and verified changing the policy changes the value for this setting.  I have also gone through most of the local policies and do not see anything that could contribute to this.  Has anyone seen this before and have any thoughts on how to correct it?

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, March 3, 2019 8:00 AM

All replies

• Kindly go through the following link. You may try to use registry edit.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9134-do-not-display-last-signed-user-name-windows-10-sign.html

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Monday, March 4, 2019 1:08 AM
  • Hi S.Sengupta,

The link you attached mentions about enabling "Don't enable last signed in" via either local policy or a registry edit.  I have already tried this by group policy and at the same time, I checked the registry when enabling or disabling the policy and I verified that action is changing the value for dontdisplaylastusername.  And, as expected, if I change the registry value, that will change the policy between enabled or disabled.  Either way, when the policy is enabled (and dontdisplaylastusername is set to 1) when a user reboots or does a shutdown, the next time they get to the login screen, windows forces to log in as that username.  Enabling the policy should prevent this from happening but it isn't. 

The link you sent also says if a user is signed in and does a restart, Windows will only prompt for a password for that user which is what I am seeing.  That is the exact opposite to what the policy should be doing.

Thanks

• Edited by mgorski10 Monday, March 4, 2019 3:15 AM
    Monday, March 4, 2019 3:07 AM
  • Hi,

You may send feedback to Microsoft using  Feedback Hub app.

Send us feedback

https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/27932/windows-10-send-us-feedback

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 4, 2019 2:50 PM
  • Hi,
    Was your issue solved?
    If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 2:26 AM
  • I have tracked this down to another setting that Microsoft has enabled by default on non-domain joined systems.  There is a setting "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart" that is automatically pre-loading the profile from the last user when they shutdown or restart while logged on.

Here is an article that explains how to change this setting:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/49963-use-sign-info-auto-finish-after-update-restart-windows-10-a.html#option3

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 3:29 PM