can I upgrade vista 32 premium to 64 bit premium? RRS feed

• Question

• Can I? or do i need to wipe and start over?
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• No, you would need to format and reinstall to go from a 32-Bit version to a 64-Bit.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:21 AM
  •  

upgrade vista 32 premium to 64 bit premium? IVE INSTALLED VISTA PREMIUM TODAY WANT TO UPGRADE TO 64 BIT

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 2:46 AM
  • You would have to perform a "clean install" of the 64-bit version of Windows Vista since there is no "upgrade" path from a Windows Vista 32-bit operating system to a Windows Vista 64-bit operating system.

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795

Windows Vista Alternate Media:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 4:06 AM
  • Just an add-on to this question.  Would the licensing be a problem.  Specifically, will a license for an OEM Premium 32 bit version of vista work with an OEM Premium 64 bit version of vista.

Friday, December 7, 2007 5:02 PM
  • OEM versions of Windows Vista are sold only as a 32-bit license or a 64-bit license.  Only a "retail version" of Windows Vista will allow you to use the same license for a 32-bit or 64-bit installation.  Please note you cannot use the same retail license to install and run both versions...you have only one installation choice.

Monday, December 10, 2007 8:10 PM
  • I was talking to one of the Dell's reps and he told me that I'd have "issues" if I upgrade 32 bit to 64bit... My whole purpose being I will buy 4gb memory but 32bit Vista only uses 3.25 or something of it, so I won't be able to benefit 4gb, but if I upgrade to 64bit I can fully use 4gb ram... this is as far as I understood..

any help appreciated.

thanks.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 7:18 PM
  • Quote:  "You would have to perform a "clean install" of the 64-bit version of Windows Vista since there is no "upgrade" path from a Windows Vista 32-bit operating system to a Windows Vista 64-bit operating system.

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795

Windows Vista Alternate Media:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

Just to keep anyone from going through the frustrating BS I just went through with microsoft,  You can only use this media upgade if you have a retail purchase of Vista 32,  OEM version are not eligible for this program.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:09 AM
  • Yes of course you have to do a clean install when you are upgrading any kind of software to a new form of file system.  Microsoft did this when they went from the FAT32 systems to NTFS.  You had to reformat your drives and install clean.  Here are the steps I took to get around this so-called problem of upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit.

1.  Partition your HD into more than one Primary partition and make sure you have enough space on the new partition to copy all of the files you want to keep.  I partitioned my 160GB HD like this: (40GB for the Vista System Files; 40GB for Music, Videos, and Pictures; 40 GB for Downloads and Program Files; 40GB for Game Files)

2.  After all partitions are set the way you want them then eject your CD/DVD drive and put in your 64-Bit Install Disc.  Restart your computer and boot from CD/DVD.

3.  Windows will load the files you need to upgrade and take you through steps to get everything ready.

4.  Select the partition you want windows installed on and you can format that partition.  (Make sure all of your files have been saved first)

5.  When you are asked for the CD-Key DO NOT ENTER IT.  Ignore what Microsoft says about having to purchase another CD-KEY.  You will just have to select the type of OS you are installing.

6.  After step 5 the OS will start going through all of the install processes and you can start up the computer as a 64-bit system.  Get all of your updates downloaded and installed and activate windows.  Voila!

These steps worked for me without incident so give it a try.  Partitions can be great.  I just install my programs to other partitions that way if i have a problem with the system partition I can reformat it and still have all my programs and files and just have to create new links.

NOTE:  THIS CAN HELP SAVE YOU HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS SO YOU WONT HAVE TO BUY A FULL VERSION OF VISTA 64 BIT!!! :-)

ALSO: WINDOWS DIGITAL LOCKER WILL LET YOU MAKE A BACKUP CD/DVD OF YOUR DOWNLOADS IF YOU GET VISTA THAT WAY INSTEAD OF GIVING THEM $10+ MORE FOR A COPY OF THE DVD OR CD

Saturday, May 17, 2008 5:00 AM
  • I was wondering how significants is the performance improvement, because I've had a slowdown after upgrading to from xp?
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:18 PM