Exchange 2010 and SCOM Distributed Applications RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We've got an Exchange 2010 organization comprised of 14 servers which are being monitored by SCOM 2007R2.  Within SCOM's Distributed Applications view, each of the 14 servers are showing up as individual DA objects in addition to a DA called "Exchange" which is the true DA object.

My question is, is there a way to prune the individual servers from the DA view so that it's a cleaner, truer view?

Thanks in advance!

Friday, July 6, 2012 9:25 PM

Answers

• It is a normal, if distracting, artifact of SCOM that some management packs cause objects other than true DAs to appear in the DA list, monitoring space.

There is no way to modify the default DA view. The long list of unmeaningful artifacts in the DA state view is a known 'down side' to use of the DA model by VMM, Exchange, and other management packs.

For example, the SCVMM management pack creates a DA for each VM!

I am thinking maybe you could create a group of the DAs of interest, then create a view scoped to that group. That would give the 'pruned' view.

John Joyner MVP-SC-CDM

• Marked as answer by RodBiagtan Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:17 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:38 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you mean how to monitor a clustered Exchange Server?

Please refer to the articles from the link below:

Strategies for Monitoring Failover Clusters (Part 1)
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Strategies-Monitoring-Failover-Clusters-Part1.html

Thanks,

Yog Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 9, 2012 10:56 AM
  • It is a normal, if distracting, artifact of SCOM that some management packs cause objects other than true DAs to appear in the DA list, monitoring space.

There is no way to modify the default DA view. The long list of unmeaningful artifacts in the DA state view is a known 'down side' to use of the DA model by VMM, Exchange, and other management packs.

I am thinking maybe you could create a group of the DAs of interest, then create a view scoped to that group. That would give the 'pruned' view.

John Joyner MVP-SC-CDM

• Marked as answer by RodBiagtan Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:17 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:38 AM

John Joyner MVP-SC-CDM

Thanks, John. That wasn't the answer I was looking for but if that's what it is then that's what it is.  Thanks for your time!
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:17 AM