How to collapse all bookmarks by default when rendering mode is set to PDF? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SSRS 2012 report that I open via URL in PDF rendering mode.  The report contains document map that renders as bookmark when opened as PDF.  Everything works as intended but when I open the bookmarks tab in Acrobat, all of the bookmarks are expanded by default.  I know I can "collapse top-level bookmarks" but none of the lower lever bookmarks collapse.  What I am wondering is, is there a way to collapse all bookmarks by default, as opposed to what seems like everything is expanded by default, when I open the report in PDF rendering mode?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 8:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Forum,

I have tested in my local environment one more time, this shortcut didn't work: Collapse selected bookmark = Forward Slash (/).

I am also using the Adobe Reader 11, hope you have seen that I have already provide the shortcut "Shift+/" to collapse all in the last reply, please use this shortcut which work fine for me :
    Collapse selected bookmark = Shift+Forward Slash (/)

I have found that although the document map is collapsed all by default in the report but when export to PDF it will all expand, so it is hard to make the bookmark to collapse in PDF by setting in the Reporting Service side, I recommend you to consider use the shortcut.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards
    Vicky Liu

Vicky Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Vicky_Liu Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:36 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Vicky_Liu Tuesday, January 20, 2015 1:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vicky_Liu Wednesday, January 21, 2015 12:55 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Forum,

Per my understanding that you have some problem about the document map rendering as the bookmark in PDF, you got all the bookmark expanded, right?

This is by default, and I have tested on my local environment that you can use the simple Shortcuts to collapse all the bookmark of all the level at once when open the PDF: Shiift+"/"

I recommend you that submit this suggestion at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/

If the suggestion mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add the feature in the next SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

You can also submit an thread to the Adobe forum and there will be more experts to help you with this problem:
    https://forums.adobe.com/welcome

Regards
    Vicky Liu

Vicky Liu

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 8:43 AM
  • Yes, your understanding is correct.  I tried your suggested keyboard shortcut in Adobe Reader 11 (even though I'd like to present the report to the user with the bookmarks already collapsed) and it didn't work.  Looking at the help (helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/keyboard-shortcuts.html) the shortcuts that seem to pertain to bookmarks (in Windows) are:

• Expand the current bookmark (focus on Bookmarks panel) = Right Arrow or Shift+plus sign
    • Collapse the current bookmark (focus on Bookmarks panel) = Left Arrow or minus sign
    • Expand all bookmarks = Shift+*
    • Collapse selected bookmark = Forward Slash (/)

Interestingly, there is an expand all listed but no collapse all.  What PDF reader are you using?

I will submit this as a suggestion.  It seems providing a document map (bookmark) as a means to navigate more quickly to a page is somewhat undermined by having all the bookmarks expanded by default.  It would be nice to have a parameter option (&rs:Format=PDF&rs:DocMapExpand=false) in the URL. 

• Edited by Forum User 2 Wednesday, January 14, 2015 2:29 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 2:28 PM
  • Hi Forum,

I have tested in my local environment one more time, this shortcut didn't work: Collapse selected bookmark = Forward Slash (/).

I am also using the Adobe Reader 11, hope you have seen that I have already provide the shortcut "Shift+/" to collapse all in the last reply, please use this shortcut which work fine for me :
    Collapse selected bookmark = Shift+Forward Slash (/)

I have found that although the document map is collapsed all by default in the report but when export to PDF it will all expand, so it is hard to make the bookmark to collapse in PDF by setting in the Reporting Service side, I recommend you to consider use the shortcut.

Regards
    Vicky Liu

Vicky Liu

• Edited by Vicky_Liu Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:36 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Vicky_Liu Tuesday, January 20, 2015 1:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vicky_Liu Wednesday, January 21, 2015 12:55 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:34 AM