Upgrade from XP to Vista Business Failed - GRFILTER.sys missing or corrupt RRS feed

• Question

• I have made two attempts to Upgrade from XP to Vista Business. Both attempts displayed the same error:

Windows Failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1.       Insert your Windows installation disk and restart your computer.

2.       Choose your language setting, and then click ‘next’.

3.       Click ‘repair your computer’.

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: GRFILTER.sys

Info: Windows failed to load because a required file is missing or corrupt.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Sheryl

Monday, November 5, 2007 9:12 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Sheryl,

Thank you for the post.

First I would like to confirm if you are performing a Clean Install or an Upgrade Install of Vista.

Before moving on, please understand that upgrading from Windows XP to Vista will sometimes cause driver and incompatible third-party software issues. In the previous installation (Windows XP), many registry settings have been modified when installing third-party software. During an upgrade, these registry entries are retained, which can cause system issues after upgrading. Therefore, an upgrade install is only recommended for systems that have a simple and clean software environment. (A clean environment means a system with few third-party programs and un-signed hardware drivers installed.)

In this case, if you have a full version Vista installation disk, I recommend trying a Clean Install of Vista.

If you only have a Vista Upgrade disk, we have to perform an Upgrade Install of Vista and let’s focus on this issue.

GRFILTER.sys is a third-party hardware device driver. The cause of the issue is likely to be that the driver is incompatible with Vista.

I suggest renaming it to GRFILTER.old in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc before upgrading to Vista.

For more information about GRFILTER.sys, you can contact its manufacturer – Authentium.

http://www.authentium.com/index.aspx

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Vista Forum Support Professional

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 3:41 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Sheryl,

Thank you for the post.

First I would like to confirm if you are performing a Clean Install or an Upgrade Install of Vista.

Before moving on, please understand that upgrading from Windows XP to Vista will sometimes cause driver and incompatible third-party software issues. In the previous installation (Windows XP), many registry settings have been modified when installing third-party software. During an upgrade, these registry entries are retained, which can cause system issues after upgrading. Therefore, an upgrade install is only recommended for systems that have a simple and clean software environment. (A clean environment means a system with few third-party programs and un-signed hardware drivers installed.)

In this case, if you have a full version Vista installation disk, I recommend trying a Clean Install of Vista.

If you only have a Vista Upgrade disk, we have to perform an Upgrade Install of Vista and let’s focus on this issue.

GRFILTER.sys is a third-party hardware device driver. The cause of the issue is likely to be that the driver is incompatible with Vista.

I suggest renaming it to GRFILTER.old in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc before upgrading to Vista.

For more information about GRFILTER.sys, you can contact its manufacturer – Authentium.

http://www.authentium.com/index.aspx

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 3:41 AM
  • Hello Tim,

Renaming the GRFilter.sys file cleared up the problem and I was able to do the Upgrade to Vista Business.

Thanks

Sheryl

Friday, November 9, 2007 11:27 AM
  •  

Hi Sheryl,

Thank you very much for the feedback.

I am glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

If you encounter technical issues regarding Windows Vista in the future, please feel free to post new threads.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, November 12, 2007 6:16 AM
  • Hello,
    I have a similar problem - my computer automatically downloaded a vista update and now does not start, displaying: "windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt."
    File: \Windows\system32\drivers\acpi.sys

Can I download that driver onto another computer and then transfer it via a flash drive? If so, where can I obtain that driver?
    Thanks,
    Vlad

Saturday, December 15, 2007 9:13 PM