none
Security disabled. How do I enable? (OR was someone trying to scam me?) RRS feed

• Question

• I received a call saying my network security was at risk from a security I had years ago (don't even have installed currently) and he walked me through how to get to this page on system configuration and upon getting here I found/told him that the services such as "Application Identity", "Application Layer Gateway Service" and a number of other apps are stopped and that it wont let me enable them.

So my question is: Are these supposed to be enabled like he says, or is this someone trying to scam me? If this is an actual problem. Does anyone have any idea how to fix it and/or should I actually speak to them when they call back?

• Edited by ShadowTemp Thursday, November 8, 2018 6:58 PM fixed a word that can basically change the entire problem
    Thursday, November 8, 2018 6:47 PM

Answers

• I received a call saying my network security was at risk from a security I had years ago (don't even have installed currently) and he walked me through how to get to this page on system configuration and upon getting here I found/told him that the services such as "Application Identity", "Application Layer Gateway Service" and a number of other apps are stopped and that it wont let me enable them.

Whenever I get a call like this, I immediately assume scam. Your comment is missing a word. "from a security I had years ago ". A security program? Did he know the name of the software that you no longer had installed or did you tell him the name? Did he have you change something? Did he try to sell you something? Was it a vendor saying that you had purchased the software in the past and was offering an upgrade?

Those 2 services are not running on my Win10 Home pc. (Set to manual startup.) But they did start for me. Are they set to disabled on your pc? 

• Marked as answer by ShadowTemp Thursday, November 8, 2018 11:40 PM
    Thursday, November 8, 2018 9:55 PM

All replies

Whenever I get a call like this, I immediately assume scam. Your comment is missing a word. "from a security I had years ago ". A security program? Did he know the name of the software that you no longer had installed or did you tell him the name? Did he have you change something? Did he try to sell you something? Was it a vendor saying that you had purchased the software in the past and was offering an upgrade?

Those 2 services are not running on my Win10 Home pc. (Set to manual startup.) But they did start for me. Are they set to disabled on your pc? 

• Marked as answer by ShadowTemp Thursday, November 8, 2018 11:40 PM
    Thursday, November 8, 2018 9:55 PM
  • No they're active(check marked anyway), just said stopped, the other computer in my home when I arrived and it said the same, and yes you're right, I meant a security program, and they said the name not me. I also looked up the number and several people have reported it so it is a scam. He was about to have me run something from a website but as soon as he started talking about that I hung up because I wasn't going to trust something like that over the phone unless it was a call I scheduled from Microsoft or something. Was mostly just curious if it was actually supposed to be like that or if it was actually not working correctly.
    Thursday, November 8, 2018 11:40 PM
  • Hi,

Please note this:

• Microsoft does not send unsolicited email messages or make unsolicited phone calls to request personal or financial information, or to provide technical support to fix your computer.
    • Any communication with Microsoft has to be initiated by you.
    • If a notification appears with a phone number, don’t call the number. Error and warning messages from Microsoft never include a phone number.
    • Download software only from official Microsoft partner websites or the Microsoft Store. Be wary of downloading software from third-party sites, as some of them might have been modified without the author’s knowledge to bundle support scam malware and other threats.
    • Use Microsoft Edge when browsing the internet. It blocks known support scam sites using Windows Defender SmartScreen (which is also used by Internet Explorer). Furthermore, Microsoft Edge can stop pop-up dialog loops used by these sites.
    • Turn on Windows Security real-time antivirus protection in Windows 10. It detects and removes known support scam malware.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 9, 2018 2:07 AM
  • They are both optional features. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-defender-application-control/applocker/applocker-overview

https://www.windows-security.org/windows-service/application-layer-gateway-service

Friday, November 9, 2018 1:05 PM