locked
Outlook 2010 Administrative Templates RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi, I want to deploy some settings via GPO for Outlook 2010, safe senders list in particular. There are x86 and x64 flavours of these templates to download from MS as we all know. I have two questions. First, do I need to use both flavours of Office 2010 administrative templates - one for clients with x86 and the other one for clients with x64 version of Office 2010 (I am interested in Outook 2010 only) or I can use, for example only x64 adm templates and apply these to all clients? Second, since some clients have Office 2010 without SPs and the other ones have Office 2010 with SP1, will templates downloaded from MS work well with these (shortly speaking are they dependent on service packs). I download the newest templates published on July 7th - I assume they will work with Office 2010 SP2 and earlier (Office 2010 and Office 2010 with SP1).
    • Edited by BoxiKG Saturday, October 18, 2014 11:48 AM
    Saturday, October 18, 2014 11:46 AM

Answers

  • I accomplished what I wanted - safe senders list in Outlook was populated with necessary addresses, GPO linked to a domain with admx templates for Outlook 2010 used on the user part of GPO. I did not enable anti-spam agents on Exchange Server itself since we use Symantec Messaging Gateway Virtual Appliance for that purpose, although it scans only email to/from outside world. Emails within organization, specially those sent from some applications sometimes end up in junk e-mail folder - for example application which use SSRS sends pdf document containing info about employee's salary, taxes . . . at the end of each month and I was informed by some employees that they did not receive email at all - somewhere it was permanently deleted since that option was checked in junk e-mail settings. I know that Outlook automatic filtering uses some algorithm to move email to junk folder but in 99% of cases email from SSRS was received and ends up in Inbox and in remaining 1% email was treated as junk. Obvious solution was to automatically populate safe senders list with email address SSRS sent emails from and admx templates are ideal for situations like this. If there is more elegant solution let me know - maybe some anti-spam solution for internal email flow which can co-exist with SMG which deals with external emails.
    • Edited by BoxiKG Sunday, October 19, 2014 12:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian_Wang Monday, October 20, 2014 3:03 AM
    Sunday, October 19, 2014 12:01 PM

All replies

  • > First, do I need to use both flavours of Office 2010 administrative
    > templates - one for clients with x86 and the other one for clients with
    > x64 version of Office 2010 (I am interested in Outook 2010 only) or I
     
    Doesn't matter - the templates themselves are identical, the x86/x64
    thing is only installer related.
     
    > packs). I download the newest templates published on July 7th - I assume
    > they will work with Office 2010 SP2 and earlier (Office 2010 and Office
    > 2010 with SP1).
     
    Yes.
     

    Martin

    Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

    NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Saturday, October 18, 2014 12:24 PM
  • Ok Martin. Would you add office 2010 adm templates to computer or user part of GPO or it is irrelevant - in both cases if GPO would be linked to domain Outlook Safe Senders list would be configured on each Office 2010 installation?
    • Edited by BoxiKG Saturday, October 18, 2014 10:16 PM
    Saturday, October 18, 2014 10:15 PM
  • Curious, is this an Exchange installation? If it is, why not just white list them in the Exchange Transport, antispam settings?

    FYI, if linked to the domain, any GPO will affect all objects, depending of course if user or computer based, unless blocked or filtered.


    Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCSE 2012, MCITP EA & MCTS Windows 2008/R2, Exchange 2013, 2010 EA & 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Complete List of Technical Blogs: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/technicalblogs.php

    This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

    FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

    Sunday, October 19, 2014 5:38 AM
  • I accomplished what I wanted - safe senders list in Outlook was populated with necessary addresses, GPO linked to a domain with admx templates for Outlook 2010 used on the user part of GPO. I did not enable anti-spam agents on Exchange Server itself since we use Symantec Messaging Gateway Virtual Appliance for that purpose, although it scans only email to/from outside world. Emails within organization, specially those sent from some applications sometimes end up in junk e-mail folder - for example application which use SSRS sends pdf document containing info about employee's salary, taxes . . . at the end of each month and I was informed by some employees that they did not receive email at all - somewhere it was permanently deleted since that option was checked in junk e-mail settings. I know that Outlook automatic filtering uses some algorithm to move email to junk folder but in 99% of cases email from SSRS was received and ends up in Inbox and in remaining 1% email was treated as junk. Obvious solution was to automatically populate safe senders list with email address SSRS sent emails from and admx templates are ideal for situations like this. If there is more elegant solution let me know - maybe some anti-spam solution for internal email flow which can co-exist with SMG which deals with external emails.
    • Edited by BoxiKG Sunday, October 19, 2014 12:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian_Wang Monday, October 20, 2014 3:03 AM
    Sunday, October 19, 2014 12:01 PM
  • Hi,

    Glad the issue was solved.

    And thanks for your feedback, i think it will help the people who have the same issue.

    Regards.


    Vivian Wang

    Monday, October 20, 2014 3:04 AM
  • I'm also happy you've found a resolution.

    We filter our 27k environment for inbound/outbound using IronPort, but internally, the Transport antispam module works nicely not needing the Outlook junk mail filter. We whitelist copiers and apps' IP addresses in the client Transport properties. It works with the junk mail folder, but we actually encourage not to use it due to posssible conflicts.

    Either way, glad you found a way to make it work easily for you in your environment. :-)


    Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCSE 2012, MCITP EA & MCTS Windows 2008/R2, Exchange 2013, 2010 EA & 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Complete List of Technical Blogs: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/technicalblogs.php

    This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

    FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

    Monday, October 20, 2014 4:18 AM