Install App-V admx: not visible RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed the ADMX template for App-V 5.0 according the Microsoft guide: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj684299.aspx but it doesn't show up. There is no App-V folder underneath Computer Configuration / Policies / Administrative Templates / System .

Please advise.
    J.

Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 9:07 AM

Answers

• Try copying the ADMX/ADML into you're central store which should be found in \\FQDN\SYSVOL\FQDN\policies\PolicyDefinitions. NOTE: The ADML should be copied into the language specific subfolder e.g. \\FQDN\SYSVOL\FQDN\policies\PolicyDefinitions\en-us

• Edited by Nathan Sperry Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by janhoedt Thursday, June 4, 2015 8:55 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 7:59 PM

All replies

• is the file %windir%\PolicyDefinitions\appv.admx available?
    Tuesday, May 26, 2015 9:35 AM
  • And %windir%\PolicyDefinitions\en-us\appv.adml?

Have you closed and re-opened GMPC?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:14 AM
  • Yes it is. Note: I unzipped the file from https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj684299.aspx and copied it remotely to the DC or should I have extracted/ran the exe of template on DC itself?

Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 11:32 AM
  • Yes and yes.

Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 11:32 AM
  • Still App-V is not appearing in GPMC.

Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:53 AM
  • Are you opening GPMC on the same machine that you've installed the ADMX/ADML files to? That can be your local PC if it's domain joined.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 10:47 AM
  • What do you mean by that? I copied the MDOP_ADMX_Templates.exe to a network share, when I execute it, it extracts to that location.
    Even if I copy it locally, it extracts it to that local location (not to f.e. c:\windows\etc) so why would that matter? If it would, where should I extract it then?

Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 12:54 PM

Here are the steps I went through which work, all on the same PC without involving any remote locations:

1. Run MDOP_ADMX_Templates.exe
    2. Extract to C:\MDOP_ADMX_Templates
    3. Copy the contents of C:\MDOP_ADMX_Templates\Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack\App-V5.0SP3 to %windir%\PolicyDefinitions on the same machine that you are opening GPMC on
    4. Close GPMC if it is open
    5. Open GPMC
    6. Edit or create a new GPO that is linked to the OU that your target computer accounts are in and open it
    7. Navigate to Computer Configuration / Policies / Administrative Templates / System / App-V.

%windir% is an environment variable that is usually C:\Windows, assuming you have a default install.

If you aren't seeing the App-V policies then you haven't followed the Microsoft article and the policy files are not in the right location.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 1:35 PM
  • Tried that, not working, however I'm working on Windows 2012 R2 and "Administrative Templates entry" is showing:

Administrative Templates: Policy definitions (ADXM files) retrieved from central store

Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 2:58 PM
  • Try copying the ADMX/ADML into you're central store which should be found in \\FQDN\SYSVOL\FQDN\policies\PolicyDefinitions. NOTE: The ADML should be copied into the language specific subfolder e.g. \\FQDN\SYSVOL\FQDN\policies\PolicyDefinitions\en-us

• Edited by Nathan Sperry Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by janhoedt Thursday, June 4, 2015 8:55 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 7:59 PM
  • That did the trick, thanks!

Jan Hoedt

Thursday, June 4, 2015 8:55 AM