none
Can't open multiple tabs in IE11 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I recently upgraded to IE11.  I'm running Win 7 64 bit, SP!, with Avast anti virus installed.  I also have Google Chrome installed and use AOL.

After opening to the home page on IE, and trying to open another tab, the 2nd (tab) page will stay blank.  I tried disabling all my add-on and have IE as the default browser.  I tried uninstalling IE11 to the default IE9, but the same issue occurs.  I even uninstalled Chrome but it didn't change anything.

As long as I click around within IE's home page, it works fine.  It's just when another tab needs to open, is when the problem starts.(blank page)  I recently had to re-install my windows because of a freezing up issue.  Everything else works fine now except for IE.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:34 PM

Answers

• [Is there an echo in here?]

Roll up your sleeves & cross your fingers...

[You may want to print these instructions for offline reference. You must complete all of the steps in one (1) uninterrupted session. If a Step says to reboot, reboot!]

1. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

2. Download/run the appropriate scripts from the following Trusted Source (my colleague IE MVP Kai Schätzl): http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=42&id=133&artlang=en

Note => The scripts are good for IE9, IE10 & IE11, too!

Tip: The file named ie8-rereg.all.zip contains both of the scripts below (plus a third one you will NOT use).

3a. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then double-click on the file named ie8-rereg.32on64.cmd to run the script.

3b. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then double-click on the file namedie8-rereg.64on64.cmd to run that script then reboot.

4. Re-assert Internet Explorer as the default Browser in the CUSTOM (<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults.

5. Reset Internet Explorer per the instructions on this page => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Note=> For optimal results, check the Delete personal settings option.

6a. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414 [ignore the title & Symptoms].

6b. Ignoring any "Not recommended" or similar warnings, run Fix It 50202 in DEFAULT and then AGGRESSIVE modes. [1]

7. Reboot & test.

8. Reply to this post with a status report.

Good luck!

====================================================
    [1] Full Disclosure: Running the Fix It in AGGRESSIVE mode will delete your Update History but not the list of Installed Updates.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:28 PM
  • YOU THE MAN!!  Everything seems fine now.  Thank you so much for all your time!
    • Marked as answer by mot76 Friday, April 25, 2014 2:19 AM
    Friday, April 25, 2014 2:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

So the blank page appears even when you right click the a link in the home page, choose open in a new tab\ open in a new window, or just press Ctrl+T, right?
    I suggest you first try the IE performancetroubleshooter, open Action Center\Troubleshooting\Programs\Internet Explorer Performance, then check if it can make any difference or give us a report.
    Or run sfc\scannow to check and fix if there're some corrupted or missing files.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:17 AM
  • Probably, there is a some security toolbar or a virus software installed which is making an another tab as blank.

Could you verify this?

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:25 AM
  • Thanks for replying.  I have all my add ons disabled, ran sfc /scannow, with no change.  I disabled my virus program temporarily. Nothing in the Action center really pertained to fixing IE, except for the connection, for which I can connect to the web.  I made a screen shot of what my IE looks like but am unable to post it until my account is verified.  I've been signed up here for awhile, so, I don't know what's going on with that.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:04 PM
  • Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

• Norton and McAfee applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly. The "leftovers" may be your troublemaker here.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:35 PM
  • No, I built this pc.  The only virus protector I use is Avast.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:12 PM
  • Have you tried to reset the tab settings?

Internet Options --> the General tab

Click the Tabs button.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:34 PM
  • Yes, I did try that.  It made no difference.  Should I try to uninstall IE11 to the lowest version possible, like IE8, see if that works, and then reinstall 11?  I'm using Google Chrome now to communicate with you all because of the issue with IE.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:48 PM
  • Cite:

Does the behavior persist if you uninstall Windows Internet Explorer 11, reboot twice and then do NOT install it again?

Note: Uninstalling IE11 will automatically restore the previous version (i.e., IE10, IE9 or IE8).

Note: To stop Automatic Updates from installing IE11 again, you will need to hide it. See...

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:59 PM
  • I'm down to IE8 and the same thing happens.  If I try to open another tab, the tab says, connecting, but it doesn't do anything.
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 12:29 AM
  • Could there be possibly an incorrect registry entry?
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:36 PM
  • Yes, it is.  Also, If I right click on a link to open it in a new window, nothing at all happens.

I reinstalled 11 to see if maybe things would be fixed, but the same issue is happening.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:59 PM
  • [Is there an echo in here?]

Roll up your sleeves & cross your fingers...

[You may want to print these instructions for offline reference. You must complete all of the steps in one (1) uninterrupted session. If a Step says to reboot, reboot!]

1. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

2. Download/run the appropriate scripts from the following Trusted Source (my colleague IE MVP Kai Schätzl): http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=42&id=133&artlang=en

Note => The scripts are good for IE9, IE10 & IE11, too!

Tip: The file named ie8-rereg.all.zip contains both of the scripts below (plus a third one you will NOT use).

3a. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then double-click on the file named ie8-rereg.32on64.cmd to run the script.

3b. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then double-click on the file namedie8-rereg.64on64.cmd to run that script then reboot.

4. Re-assert Internet Explorer as the default Browser in the CUSTOM (<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults.

5. Reset Internet Explorer per the instructions on this page => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Note=> For optimal results, check the Delete personal settings option.

6a. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414 [ignore the title & Symptoms].

6b. Ignoring any "Not recommended" or similar warnings, run Fix It 50202 in DEFAULT and then AGGRESSIVE modes. [1]

7. Reboot & test.

8. Reply to this post with a status report.

Good luck!

====================================================
    [1] Full Disclosure: Running the Fix It in AGGRESSIVE mode will delete your Update History but not the list of Installed Updates.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:28 PM
  • YOU THE MAN!!  Everything seems fine now.  Thank you so much for all your time!
    • Marked as answer by mot76 Friday, April 25, 2014 2:19 AM
    Friday, April 25, 2014 2:18 AM
  • Not that I care that much but I believe my post, not yours, ANSWERED (solved) your question (problem), yes?

Friday, April 25, 2014 5:09 PM
  • I'm sorry, my bad.  I clicked the wrong post.  Thanks again!
    • Edited by mot76 Friday, April 25, 2014 6:02 PM
    Friday, April 25, 2014 6:01 PM