Recovering accidentally replaced files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Here is my problem:
    My girl friend has Windows Vista Home Basic edition. She selected a few folders and dragged them to the recycle bin. Accidentally, few other folders that were not supposed to be deleted also got dragged to the recycle bin. So she went to the recycle bin, selected all files and clicked on restore. A warning message popped up saying: "Replace files". I am not sure what the exact warning message was but she clicked on yes and all folders disappeared never to be seen again! This was 1 semester worth of documents that she lost. I tried using several recovery tools like: WinUndelete, RecoverMyFiles, Virtual Lab Data recovery but none helped. Is there any way the files can be recovered and does anyone know what really happened?

Thanks!
    Sean
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 1:12 PM

All replies

• Since this isn't really a Vista issue I can tell you that there are a large number of very good Data Recovery programs available many of them with 30 day free trials, so for that amount of irreplacable data I would try some others before giving up. I don't think it would be appropriate to recommend one over others here though since many are quite good.

I will tell you that you should definitely click your Windows Button, go to Accessories > System Tools and use the Backup Status and Configuration tool. It's very easy to setup and use, and it is absolutely necessary on any computer that more than one person accesses since mistakes will always happen.

Tim

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:52 PM