Windows 7 Enterprise not allowing UAC Access to Admins RRS feed

• Question

•  I have a Windows 7 Enterprise installation, which is not allowing access to any of the OS administrative functions.  All admin. accounts (domain & local) are affected, and the issue literally occurred between reboots, with no new software installation, or error messages. The OS will allow logon of domain and local accounts, and applications can be run, however any function involving UAC access fails, with the following error:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I had the user boot into safe mode and do a system restore, however, there was no change in behavior after the restore completed. Additionally, we are unable to remotely access any of the admin functions. Windows Defender and AV scans come back clean.

Can't get to event viewer or any other admin tools to try and diagnose the trouble.

Thank you.

John Johnston

Monday, April 30, 2012 5:15 PM

Answers

• Thank you for the response,

Issue occurs on only one workstation.

Safe mode with network support, does allow access to admin tools.  No smoking gun in the event log that I can see.

I created a new local user, and added the user to the local administrators group; rebooted, logged in as new local admin and again no admin access.  It doesn't ask for username, passwords, etc; it just fails when trying to access function which would require an admin account.

Currently backing up data; considering an Fdisk.

John Johnston

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:15 AM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

May I know whether the issue only occurs on one computer? Please check if the issue occur in Safe Mode. If not, you can check the Event Viewer in Safe Mode, perform clean boot and disable security software temporarily for a test.

If the issue persists in Safe Mode, I suggest you enable built-in administrator account to check the result.

1. Restart computer, keep pressing F8, select Repair your computer, then access System Recover Options.
    2. Open Command Prompt, then type the following commands.

net user administrator *
    <Then enter the required password and confirm it>
    net user administrator /active:yes

3. Then reboot in Safe Mode to check the result.

Niki
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:10 AM
  • Thank you for the response,

Issue occurs on only one workstation.

Safe mode with network support, does allow access to admin tools.  No smoking gun in the event log that I can see.

I created a new local user, and added the user to the local administrators group; rebooted, logged in as new local admin and again no admin access.  It doesn't ask for username, passwords, etc; it just fails when trying to access function which would require an admin account.

Currently backing up data; considering an Fdisk.

John Johnston

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:15 AM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:37 PM
  • Hi,

I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going. If you have any feedback, please let us know.

Niki
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here

Niki Han

Monday, May 7, 2012 6:02 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, I assume the issue has been resolved by fresh install , and I will mark it as "Answered". If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Niki
    If you are
    TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Niki Han

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:15 AM