none
Project Server 2010 - Applying CUs after SP2? RRS feed

• Question

• I am taking over support of a development environment for Project Server 2010 and would like to update it to a more recent level of CU. We have one DB server, and all other components are on one additional server.

Current levels from the Control Panel: MS Proj Server 2010 14.0.7015.1000, MS Sharepoint Server 2010 14.0.7015.1000, Service Pack 2 KB2687452 applied.

Farm Info: Config DB version: 14.0.6134.5001.

1. Can I apply the April CU and it will include all the previous CUs since SP2? Do I need to install the CUs one at a time?

2. For each CU, do I install the Sharepoint component first, then Project?

3. I keep reading information about problems with SP1 but I don't see it in my Control Panel as installed (just SP2.) Can I install Feb or April 2014 CU and avoid whatever issues were happening with July 2013 CU and SP1?

4. Any advice on next steps is greatly appreciated.

Friday, May 16, 2014 3:36 PM

Answers

• Hi LD2009,

here are the answers to your questions:

Q1: The CU April 2014 has included all fixes since SP2. So you don't need to install older CUs.

Q2: You don't need seperate packages for SharePoint and Project Server. There is a Rollup-Package which updates both SharePoint and Project Server together. You can find it here.

Q3: You must enshure that SP2 was installed and deployed correctly. In the Central Administration check if all databases were upgradet to the latest Level. If not, run psconfig.

If you have the BCS Service configured then you have to run the following PS script (otherwise the BCS database would remain in the compatibility mode):

(Get-SPDatabase | ?{$_.type -eq “Microsoft.SharePoint.BusinessData.SharedService.BdcServiceDatabase”}).Provision()

For all other issues we need more details.

For more informations read the blog posts from Brian Smith and Stefan Goßner.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Bernhard Fischer

Bernhard Fischer [MVP] | www.wodey.de

Friday, May 16, 2014 4:18 PM
  • Hi LD2009,

for looking if BCS is configured go to your Central Admin Page. In the first section you will find "Manage Service Applications".

Check if you have an entry simila to the screenshot below.

Regards

Bernhard

• Marked as answer by LD2009 Thursday, October 9, 2014 5:09 PM
    Friday, May 16, 2014 5:29 PM
  • Hi LD2009,

if you see an entry for Business Connectivity Service under "Manage Service Applications" then the Service is configured. If he is running in the correct manner I cannot say. However, you should run the PS script for provisioning the service.

Yes, the SP2 includes all previus fixes and the SP1.

Sorry for the corrupt link above for the CU. I repared it and you can find the CU under KB 2878253. It's definitly a Rollup-package.

Regards

Bernhard

Friday, May 16, 2014 6:08 PM

All replies

• Hi LD2009,

here are the answers to your questions:

Q1: The CU April 2014 has included all fixes since SP2. So you don't need to install older CUs.

Q2: You don't need seperate packages for SharePoint and Project Server. There is a Rollup-Package which updates both SharePoint and Project Server together. You can find it here.

Q3: You must enshure that SP2 was installed and deployed correctly. In the Central Administration check if all databases were upgradet to the latest Level. If not, run psconfig.

If you have the BCS Service configured then you have to run the following PS script (otherwise the BCS database would remain in the compatibility mode):

(Get-SPDatabase | ?{$_.type -eq “Microsoft.SharePoint.BusinessData.SharedService.BdcServiceDatabase”}).Provision()

For all other issues we need more details.

For more informations read the blog posts from Brian Smith and Stefan Goßner.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Bernhard Fischer

Friday, May 16, 2014 4:18 PM
  • Thank you Bernhard for the info. As advised, I have located the DB schema versions and run config to update them to the maximum. How would I best determine if BCS Service is configured in this environment?
    Friday, May 16, 2014 5:12 PM
  • Hi LD2009,

for looking if BCS is configured go to your Central Admin Page. In the first section you will find "Manage Service Applications".

Check if you have an entry simila to the screenshot below.

Regards

Bernhard

Friday, May 16, 2014 5:29 PM
  • Thank You Bernhard. I was able to navigate there, and actually looked at the config screens. We have the BCS Service Application "Started" but when I went to look at the config screen, no URL was defined. Would that indicate we don't actually have this feature in use?

A few Additional questions:

Does SP2 include SP1?

If SP2 is showing in the Control Panel, is it still possible it's not installed?

RE April 2014 link in your post, I didn't find it went to the April 2014 CU. However, when I searched for the CU it did not indicate there is a rollup for this CU. Do you concur? 

Many thanks for your continued interest.

• Edited by LD2009 Friday, May 16, 2014 5:39 PM
    Friday, May 16, 2014 5:39 PM
  • Hi LD2009,

if you see an entry for Business Connectivity Service under "Manage Service Applications" then the Service is configured. If he is running in the correct manner I cannot say. However, you should run the PS script for provisioning the service.

Yes, the SP2 includes all previus fixes and the SP1.

Sorry for the corrupt link above for the CU. I repared it and you can find the CU under KB 2878253. It's definitly a Rollup-package.

Regards

Bernhard

Friday, May 16, 2014 6:08 PM