none
mdt -Remove edge and set Internet explorer as default browser RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How to Remove edge and set Internet explorer as default browser  either during creation of reference image or osd.

How to do changes  the  internet explorer settings  during osd or during refernce image creation . 

How to use Internet Explorer Administrator Kit  in mdt 

Please help 

Thanks

Friday, January 5, 2018 4:25 PM

All replies

• You can't remove Edge.

This is probably the guide you want:

Setting Internet Explorer as your default browser in Windows 10 during OS Deployment

Here is some IEAK info using MDT: Adding Internet Explorer 11 to your Windows 7 SP1 reference image

Daniel Vega

Monday, January 8, 2018 10:43 PM
  • You may want to re-phrase the question as you should not (and can't) remove Edge. LTSB i(LTSC) is a different story but it is something I would personally never use. Regardless, what you are looking for is changing default file type associations (FTAs) during OSD. There are a lot of misconceptions on the net about how to do it. This is a good starting point: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsinternals/2017/10/25/windows-10-how-to-configure-file-associations-for-it-pros/

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 4:23 AM
  • Dan, I looked into the link you added about creating an xml and adding it to MDT. It does set default apps you chose, however, only for the administrator who initially logs on. New users logging on to that pc don't get the xml applied, they get whatever MS defaults are set.
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:30 PM
  • Hey Anton, how are you applying the xml in your scenario? It looks like you apply it during a standard TS, using the Import-  in a 'run command line'.

Also, where do you store the xml in MDT? The Import- doesn't reference it's saved location to import from...just wondering where I keep it. Importing it to Windows\System32 allows it to be applied to all new users? The link above from Dan seems to only apply to the admin.
    Thanks!

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:47 PM
  • Basically I have my XML and the PowerShell script posted below in the same folder and I run it as part of my TS:

# Determine where to do the logging 
    $tsenv = New-Object -COMObject Microsoft.SMS.TSEnvironment 
    $logPath = $tsenv.Value("LogPath") 
    $logFile = "$logPath\$($myInvocation.MyCommand).log"

# Start the logging 
    Start-Transcript $logFile
    Write-Host "Logging to $logFile"

# Start Main Code Here

Write-Host "Importing default application association settings"
    $cmdLine  = "/Online /Import-DefaultAppAssociations:$PSScriptRoot\AppAssoc.xml"
    start-Process $env:windir\system32\dism.exe -ArgumentList $cmdLine -WindowStyle Hidden

# Stop logging 
    Stop-Transcript

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Proposed as answer by the1rickster Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:47 PM
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:55 PM
  • PS is still so new to me...but I'm following.

The xml is your template. The PS copies the template.

Do you know for sure this applies to all users who sign on besides the admin? I'm sure you know...just asking because I followed the other link and it only works for the admin.
    I'll start on this now :)

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:08 PM
  • Your XML template will apply to all newly created accounts as FTAs in Windows 8 and 10 are user-centric as opposed to Windows 7. A word to the wise, as outlined in the MS guidelines linked above, when you export your XML template from the reference system, do not modify the XML file manually. Otherwise you will get a lot of of file type associations being reset messages upon first logon. Speaking from experience here...

Cheers,
    Anton

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:11 PM
  • One question about your location reference of the xml...

It states $PSScriptsRoot
    Where is this location? Do I need to create a folder with this name and store the xml there? I'm familiar with %DEPLOYROOT% but not this one.

Thanks

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:14 PM
  • Understood. Lastly, you place the PS in State Restore?
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:22 PM
  • Yes, State Restore. $PSScriptRoot is a variable which contains script‘s location. So all you need to do is to place an XML file (in my case aptly named AppAssoc.xml) in the same folder as the PS script.

Cheers,
    Anton

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:25 PM
  • Thanks. I just dropped them both into my Scripts folder. Running a test now.
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:27 PM
  • Hi,

Are you doing in your reference image ?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:39 AM
  • You can do this during ref image creation or during OSD

Cheers,
    Anton

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:07 AM
  • Your XML template will apply to all newly created accounts as FTAs in Windows 8 and 10 are user-centric as opposed to Windows 7. A word to the wise, as outlined in the MS guidelines linked above, when you export your XML template from the reference system, do not modify the XML file manually. Otherwise you will get a lot of of file type associations being reset messages upon first logon. Speaking from experience here...

Cheers,
    Anton

Very true! What Anton is talking about is mentioned here: Windows 10 – How to configure file associations for IT Pros

Daniel Vega

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 2:24 PM
  • You can set IE as the default browser under Apps and Features. You will probably have to do this on the image before capture so that the default profile settings are copied to each new profile created.

In the past I have been able to copy the default user DAT file from an image, modify it using regedit and copy it back to the image to update the default profile settings to do the same thing after image creation. I have no tried it with windows 10 yet.

Friday, January 12, 2018 2:55 PM
  •  I normally run the following command in the Post Install section of my Task Sequence:

Dism.exe /Image:%OSDisk%\ /Import-DefaultAppAssociations:%SCRIPTROOT%\DefaultAppAssociations.xml

Keep in mind this requires that you have exported your file associations into an XML called DefaultAppAssociations.xml and have copied it to MDT's script folder.

http://www.joseespitia.com/2016/12/21/how-to-configure-your-windows-10-default-file-associations-in-mdt/

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:56 PM