Overriding Maintenance Windows with different settings? RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy,

I have a maintenance window assigned to a Collection I have setup for Windows Updating.  However, I have a couple servers in that group that I want to change their maintenance window to be the next day so we don't have a primary and backup server both updating and rebooting at the same time.

Is there any way to take one of the machines and manually assign it a maintenance window and have it NOT inherit the one that's assigned at the collection level?

I don't really want to have to split out a couple machines into their own collection just to change the maintenance window if there's some other way around that.

Thanks,

Mike

Monday, August 22, 2016 7:19 PM

Answers

• No. There's no way to do what you want without using multiple collections.

Why don't you want to use multiple collections?

If yo are worried about having to change an ADR or the targeting of your software updates, then what you really need is to add a third collection. So, collection 1 (a new one) contains all systems, has no maintenance window, and is targeted by your update deployments (via your ADR presumably). Collection 2 (the existing collection), contains systems you want updates during "phase 1", has the existing MW, and is not targeted by any update deployments. Collection 3 (a new), contains systems for "phase 2" updating, has the second MW assigned to it, and is also not targeted by an update deployment.

Thus, all systems will be targeted by the update deployment but the MWs applied to them by their membership is either collection 2 or collection 3 really dictate when the updates are installed.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by Mudit Bahedia Monday, August 22, 2016 8:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Monday, September 5, 2016 7:38 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 8:03 PM

All replies

• No. There's no way to do what you want without using multiple collections.

Why don't you want to use multiple collections?

If yo are worried about having to change an ADR or the targeting of your software updates, then what you really need is to add a third collection. So, collection 1 (a new one) contains all systems, has no maintenance window, and is targeted by your update deployments (via your ADR presumably). Collection 2 (the existing collection), contains systems you want updates during "phase 1", has the existing MW, and is not targeted by any update deployments. Collection 3 (a new), contains systems for "phase 2" updating, has the second MW assigned to it, and is also not targeted by an update deployment.

Thus, all systems will be targeted by the update deployment but the MWs applied to them by their membership is either collection 2 or collection 3 really dictate when the updates are installed.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by Mudit Bahedia Monday, August 22, 2016 8:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Monday, September 5, 2016 7:38 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 8:03 PM
  • I decided to just remove the Maintenance Window setting from the ADR collections and make some other collections just for MWs.  That way I just created 2 new collections.  One called MW Saturday and one called MW Sunday.

MW Saturday is all system except what's in MW Sunday.

MW Sunday is just the 5 machines I need to go on Day 2.

Should work OK.  I think...  :)

Monday, August 22, 2016 8:13 PM