none
How do I assign one person or team to many tasks and avoid over allocations in Project Professional 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a unique project plan. The Business is not concerned with tracking cost or Hours. I have 10 "departments" that will be assigned to many tasks that over lap. The business is not really concerned with how or who is doing the work, they just want it assigned to the manager of the department. Obviously when i attempt to schedule one person to 8 different tasks, Project is throwing red flags everywhere and causes issues with reporting. 

is there a way to change the default work time? For example. John is assigned to T1,T2,T3 and T4 that all start on 8/22/13. Is there a way that I change his hours to only work for 2 hours each day on each task? 

I am not sure what the best way is to accomplish this goal. I also thought of creating department groups and assigning the group to the task, but then how do I assign the group to multiple tasks?

Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:10 PM

All replies

• jessica00,

Yes you could create custom calendars for each resource but in your scenario I don't think that is necessary. I would simply create 10 resources identified by the department name. Then in the Max Units field on the Resource Sheet, set the percentage to equate to the number of individuals in each department. For example, let's say the sales department has 5 salesmen. Set the Max Units to 500%. Do the same for each department. Now when you assign a particular department to a multiple overlapping tasks, you will only get an overallocation warning if the combined work for the overlapping tasks exceeds the capacity of the department assigned.

In addiition, you could designate an extra task text field (e.g. Text1) and enter the name of the manager for that task.

There are other ways to do this, but this is one simple approach.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:31 PM
  • Or if you want to restrict the resource to work only for 2 hours for a particular task in a day then you can also try to reduce the resource units from 100% to 25% which will reduce the work from 8 hours to 2 hours.

Cheers! Happy troubleshooting !!! Dinesh S. Rai - MSFT Enterprise Project Management

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:40 PM