none
Users are able to submit hours to a task that has 0 remaining work. RRS feed

• Question

• I don’t understand why one is able to submit hours to a task that has 0 remaining work. In the past, I know that this was not possible. People had to first change the Remaining Duration to a non-zero number and submit the request for the PM to approve. Only then were they able to start charging again. 
    Monday, February 3, 2014 4:26 PM

All replies

• Project Help --

In the past, what you are describing was possible in previous versions of Project Server, so the behavior you see is nothing new.  The are basically two ways to resolve this issue:

1. Enforce a company-wide methodology that team members are not allowed to add Actual Work to a task that 0 h of Remaining Work.  If they have more work to do, they are required to increase the Remaining Work and submit that to their PM for approval.  Once approved, only then can they apply Actual Work against the task.
    2. If you want to absolutely prevent team members from entering Actual Work against a task with 0h of Remaining Work because the task is actually completed, then you can use the Close Tasks to Update feature on the Server Settings page of PWA.  When you use this feature to close a task, team members will not longer be able to add extra Actual Work on the task because it is formally closed in the system.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 4:55 AM
  • Hi,

I have close tasks to update to a project in PWA. Project manager is still able to modify tasks on that project. I still see that tasks are locked. Please advice why?

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:11 PM
  • Hi Project Help,

"Close task to update" feature do not prevent the project manager to update the task. It only prevent resources to submit updates to the closed task. This is a subtil but key difference.

Note that in the task settings under "protect user updates", you can force task updates to come only from task and timesheet (Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets taskcheckbox). Doing this, the project manager will not be able to enter any actual in MS PRoject Pro.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:23 PM
  • Thanks for answering 

Team members still get update notifications on that task or project( which is closed).

Is there any steps to prevent that?

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:58 PM